lets talk fruit

sniffles722002
on 11/2/11 2:07 pm - Puyallup, WA
OK,
so I am wondering about fruits.  I looked up the nutritional value of fruit on the FDA site, and it appears there are only mayyyyybe 2 fruits I would dare try.  Tell me again, what is the sugar grams that we should stay under?  Have you all eaten fruit, if so, what kinds? 

Thanks.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/2/11 2:17 pm - OH
Most people (but not all) -- even those who dump on relatively small amounts of processed sugar -- have no trouble with the natural sugar in fruits, so I was told that the normal sugar "limit" did not really apply to fruit.  I have never had any trouble with any fruit (in small amounts, of course), and was eating all fruits except raisins, citrus fruits, and pineapple at 3 months out (those items were not permitted on my surgeon's plan until later).

Just be sure to try a small amount at first (which is all you should be eating at this point, anyway).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BugdocMom
on 11/2/11 2:36 pm - CA
I dump at the drop of a hat. And I have yet to eat anything with ADDED sugar. But, I have tried a few fruits and done fine. I eat them after I eat my protein because protein seems to temper my reaction to sugar and carbs. Also, I only eat a tiny bit. I have had about 1/4 of a small banana, up to 3 cherries at a time, a large strawberry, and a 2 inch cube of watermelon. Of course, not all at the same time .
poet_kelly
on 11/2/11 2:51 pm - OH
Different people choose to keep their sugar intake below different amounts.  There is not a one-size-fits-all guideline for that.

I've eat all kinds of fruit.  Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, bananas, pineapple, peaches, pears, apples.. all different kinds.

I dump on table sugar but the sugar in plain fruit is naturally occurring sugar known as fructose.  Some people dump on that too but most people do not.  I keep my added sugar at no more than 12 grams but I don't worry at all about naturally occurring sugar in fruit or milk.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cedarstar
on 11/2/11 3:51 pm - Manitoba, Canada
I love fruit and so far I have tried bananas, apples, mandarin oranges, peaches, plums, grapes and watermelon. I had no issues at all but I have also not dumped on anything yet. Kelly what would you think about fruit juices? I'm not a big juice drinker but the school I work in just brought in a slush puppie machine (and of course I'm in charge of the machine). I wouldn't mind trying a bit or even being able to enjoy a small cup on a warm day next spring. :) I am searching for the nutritional content and so far all I have found is that there are 140 calories in 300 ml, comparable to juice and too much for me to drink of something so sweet. I want to be able to post the nutritional content for the staff and students too so they understand that there is still a lot of calories in this even though it's 100 juice. 

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

poet_kelly
on 11/2/11 4:04 pm - OH
I don't think the liquid typically used in Slush Puppy machines is fruit juice.  I think it's sugar, sugar and more sugar along with some artifical coloring and flavoring.

I think if you want fruit juice, read the ingredients to make sure it's all fruit juice.  Some drinks that look like fruit juice are really water, high fructose corn syrup and a little bit of juice.  Plus the artificial coloring.  Even if it's 100% juice, it will likely be high in sugar but that's natural sugar or fructose.  And you have to keep  in mind that drinking calories is an easy way to take in more calories than you want.  If you don't mind the calories from it, then enjoy it but just make sure you read the ingredients.

Wanna know what I think about putting a Slush Puppy machine in a school?  I used to like Slush Puppies when I was a kid, we bought them at a local convenient store, but do schools really need to be serving that to kids?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ecshumway
on 11/2/11 8:19 pm - NY
Has anyone tried oranges? I love oranges but I haven't tried them because of the pulp.

Price S.
on 11/2/11 9:29 pm - Mills River, NC
I've eaten 1/2 an orange.  no problems but I don't dump. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/3/11 1:10 am - OH
One of the 5 things I cannot tolerate since surgery is the membrane around the individual orange (or grapefruit) segments... but if I eat just the fruit itself (or eat mandarin oranges instead, which is a LOT easier), I am fine.  It's been that way since I was 6 months post-op (and I'm now over 4 years out).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 11/3/11 2:30 am - OH
I have no trouble with them.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 281 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics