Pre-Op Weight Loss

rstone115
on 11/3/11 10:30 am - NV
I'm on a 1200 calorie diet while I'm waiting to get a date for surgery. In the last month I've lost an incredible 25 lbs. I already have an exercise routine that I've had for several years. I'm practicing protien first and keeping a food journal. I've also addressed some emotional eating issues and I feel in control "right now". Now I'm wondering if I can by-pass the by-pass? I'm not suffering on 1200 cals.. I'm hungry sometimes but I have started doing some craft projects to occupy my mind and hands.. seems to work well for me. I have lost over 100 lbs in the past but it came back on (of course) but could this time be different or am I living in a dream spurred on by my recent success. Just wondering if anyone else has felt this way and how you handled the sudden confusion after being so commited to this journey. HUGS...
In order to achieve success, one must first understand the meaning of failure, which is: not to try at all.   RLS

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/11 10:42 am - Santa Cruz, CA
I think we all went through that exact thing:  if I can do this now, I can do it forever.

Well, speaking for myself, the truth is that "NO I couldn't".  You've been doing this pre-op for
a month, and very successfully.  Can you continue this for the next two years, and forever?

I know I couldn't.

Good luck!
Debra P.
on 11/3/11 10:46 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 I can tell you from MY experience... 4 years ago, I was like you, I lost about 30 lbs. on the hospitals 1200 calorie diet and like you, I thought I can do this without surgery, so I dropped out. Fast forward 4 years, here I am back in the program and I re-gained all the 30 pounds + another 40 pounds.
Needless to say, I am kicking myself in the ars for prolonging the inevitable. The fact is, life gets comfy and I backslid and was not vigilant about what was going in my mouth, the next thing I knew... 1200 calories turns into 2200 and then 3200 without realizing it.
I am having surgery in December and this time I will go through with it...  I need this tool to keep me in check.

YankeeRose
on 11/3/11 11:02 am - Meadville, PA
Hi! I think I would have to agree with Lynn. I know for me, I have lost A LOT of weight in my lifetime however, I ALWAYS ended up gaining it back PLUS some. I was so good  at "dieting" that I dieted my way to almost 400 lbs. I think a lot of us here can say we have been successful on "diets" in the past but have not been able to stick to them forever. For me personally, I needed the "tool" provided by my gastric bypass to be able to change my eating habits. I know I am still considered a new post-op but I truly feel that I could not do this without my new tool. Some say there is a chance for regain even with RNY but I know I will have a better chance of long-term success with RNY. For me, I am so afraid of dumping that I will not go anywhere near sugar or "bad" carbs and I hope it stays that way. In the end, this is a decision you will need to make for yourself. Good luck.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Amber L.
on 11/3/11 11:22 am - Sweden
My docs require a 10% total body weight loss in the last 4 weeks before surgery. I am on an 800 calorie a day diet. I have lost 20 in the first three weeks and I can honestly say that I CANNOT do this on my own. I am happy about the loss, but the diet is hell. I need physical restriction and a permanent change. If I am in complete control, I can fall back into old habits. I could have a bad day and stuff my face full of donuts. I don't want to be able to do that or at least enough of a break from being able to do that to alter my habits.

Just keep on keeping on.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

Debra P.
on 11/3/11 11:53 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 Mmmm, donuts.... damn it !!!  Trigger food... sorry.  

Amber L.
on 11/3/11 12:03 pm - Sweden
You wanna talk trigger food? My favorite grocery store has this damn donut that has white chocolate and almonds on top and it's stuffed with... wait for it... NUTELLA! I swear to GOD. They just got them about a month ago. I have to avoid that store completely.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

Debra P.
on 11/3/11 12:09 pm - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 OMG!!!  Stop torturing me !!!  LOL

JJ_
on 11/3/11 6:27 pm
 LOL Did I step into a food addiction discussion  
rstone115
on 11/4/11 5:05 am - NV
Thank you to all *****plied.
In order to achieve success, one must first understand the meaning of failure, which is: not to try at all.   RLS

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics