Recovering Addicts that have had WLS

semitchell1972
on 11/5/11 4:25 am
I am a recovering addict with 7 years clean. Are there any other recovering addicts that could tell me about their experience after WLS?
Cheryl N.
on 11/5/11 4:44 am - Des Moines, WA

Congrats.. what were you addicted to?  I was a crack addict, clean for 10 years and have had 2 WLS in 2.5 years.  I have had no desire to use again, and still don't.  My simple solution to this is not to hang with losers, drug addicts, etc. 

I haven't had any addiction transfer issues.... (at least not yet but hope that never happens).

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Samantha L.
on 11/5/11 5:01 am - Petaluma, CA
 I was a drug garbage can (any kind of upper was good with me).   IV drug user.  I have been clean for 15 years now.  I don't even think about it anymore.   On the rare occasion when my prior drug use comes up, I have to stop and think about how long it has been.  It only comes up at doctor's appointments, because I gave myself a heart attack just before my 21st birthday.  (I didn't QUIT, though, until I was 24).  I haven't celebrated drug free anniversaries in years and years.  

I have had no issues since WLS except with smoking.    Damn cigarettes.  Damn weak willed woman who is willing to risk her health.  Ugh.  So, although I have no issues with illegal drugs, I find myself once again gearing up to quit smoking.  (I was two years smoke free before surgery).  My SO smokes.  I am on him all the time to quit, too.  He will quit whether he likes it or not as he ships off for basic training on February 7th.   I don't smoke MUCH.. but, the amount doesn't matter.  It's the fact that these stupid little cancer causing, ulcer causing, expensive, foul smelling sticks OWN me at all.  

semitchell1972
on 11/5/11 9:28 am
Thank you for the responses. I do stay very involved with 12 step fellowships, so I know that I will have lots of support. I have just heard horror stories of people having WLS and then turning to alcohol or drugs because they can't eat like they used to. My husband is also in recovery, so I know that I will have the support at home also. I am a recovering crack addict that would pretty much use whatever else was available when I couldn't get my choice. I don't crave it anymore and usually don't even think about it, but when I started hearing the stories, I thought I would look for others that have had the same experiences. Thanks again!
TrueNorthFriend
on 11/5/11 10:43 am - Canada
 I could be wrong... but I think that people who slip into transfer addictions after WLS might not even realize the underlying addiction issue that contributed to their becoming morbidly obese.  

On the other hand, you sound clean, sober and AWARE!!!!   AND, you have lots of support.  Good to respect the possiblity, but I wouldn't fear it.  Good luck!
Carol S.
on 11/5/11 6:52 pm - Milwaukee, WI
On November 5, 2011 at 5:43 PM Pacific Time, TrueNorthFriend wrote:
 I could be wrong... but I think that people who slip into transfer addictions after WLS might not even realize the underlying addiction issue that contributed to their becoming morbidly obese.  

On the other hand, you sound clean, sober and AWARE!!!!   AND, you have lots of support.  Good to respect the possiblity, but I wouldn't fear it.  Good luck!
 I think you're right.

Addiction with real consequences didn't come up for me until  after surgery.  Looking back I realize the potential was there but before I could stuff it down with food.

Do what you're doing.  You have the tools already.  
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 232 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views