Any body with some nutty advice? Pardon the pun...

lmcpokey17
on 11/5/11 5:29 am - Kingsport, TN
Hi friends!  I am nearly one year out and am very very active.  I am at a maintenance weight of 125, and I run 20-30 miles a week.  I have most recently found that I love almonds.  Love them.  Specifically the dark chocolate and cinnamon kind from Emerald.  Mix those babies with some graham goldfish and you've got the most amazing protein/carb low fat trail mix that a runner could as for.  My problem?  How much of a good thing is too much?  Thus far, I haven't had any GI issues, barring the occasional slow down.  Then again, that can be rather normal for me and pouchy.  I guess my question is what is the danger in nuts or is there one?  I have tried to research and it keeps showing up on the "do not eat" lists, but I can't tell why.  Anyone with advice???

BugdocMom
on 11/5/11 5:46 am - CA
I also love almonds. I have been eating them since I was just a month or so out. Nuts have lots of nutrients and lots of fiber, so they are good for us. I think the two reasons people are often told to limit nuts are 1. when they are early post op, they are often told to wait because nuts are very hard and need to be chewed A TON for a new pouch to handle them and 2. nuts are high in fat! Very high in fat. If you tend to dump on fat, they can cause problems and if you eat enough of them they can interfere with weight lopss/maintenance. I tolerate some nuts and get a tummy ache from others, I think it's the amount of fat in each type that makes the difference for me.
Michele816
on 11/5/11 5:51 am
Is the "Do not eat" for those early out, perhaps?  I know lots of people on this forum who eat nuts regularly.  When they fit my parameters on a given day, I eat them as well. I eat the 100 calorie packs from Emerald to maintain portion control.  It is easy to overeat nuts so I would just certain about how much I am eating and that it fits your eating plan.  They have fiber, protein and good fats. Nuts are an all-around healthy snack-just eat in moderation like everything.

hlacy
on 11/5/11 6:36 am - Chandler, AZ
I am almost 3 months out and I enjoy almonds. I like raw ones, roasted and salted, and on occasion the Toffee ones by Emerald - those are like crack! I keep a bag of the raw ones in my desk when I need a snack and don't have a protein bar on me. I also enjoy pistachios, but find I can't eat too many of them without a bit of heaviness, so I eat them only on occasion and only a few at a time.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Rebecca H.
on 11/5/11 7:59 am
I love almonds and I bought a bag and took them to work. I couldn't stop eating them until they were ALL gone. They called my name, and kept calling. I haven't bought any since then. I like the idea of buying smaller bags for portion control but only if I could stop at 1 small bag.

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/11 2:12 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I like to use the cashews in the single-serving packs. Great for snacks, or on the road, and very high in protein. Yes, there's fat, but only one serving, and you're not overloading on fat only, as if you're eating fried foods.

Nuts are good!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 300 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?