If you could do this surgery all over again....

Ding-E-Girl
on 11/5/11 8:34 am - MS
   If you could do this surgery all over again...would you?    Even if it meant spending your whole savings to do it ?
RoyzgIrl
on 11/5/11 8:39 am
I'm only one person and from my experience I would NOT have this surgery done. If i had the chance to go back and not do it I would, even if it meant spending my whole savings.
cookiebaby
on 11/5/11 10:44 pm - Alton, IL
 No, I would NOT have this surgery again,.  I would spend everything I could to go back and change things but that is not possible.  I struggle with the damage this has caused to my body and my life every day.  I would NOT do it.  I do, however, work hard to maintain my health as best as I can and appreciate all the good advice and support of my fellow WLS survivors.
Samantha L.
on 11/5/11 8:40 am - Petaluma, CA
 Yup.  I am only 16 months out, so I realize that I am not really far enough out to know for sure that I am a WLS success story, but.. I have lost 155 lbs and maintained that loss for the last 5 months.  I am much more aware of what I put in my mouth now and I have learned a TON about nutrition that I didn't know before, so even if I DO gain some weight back, I think I will still end up healthier than I was before surgery.  

Healthier = success 
Maintaining weight loss = icing on the cake

So, I would do it again in a second.  

lilbear412
on 11/5/11 8:45 am - MN
 I don't think i would hesitate...even though..today i have been down and feel like i am just not losing the weight..ha..i have lost 52 lbs but my weight loss has been strange..i have been teetering on a couple pounds for about a week now.  lose it..gain it..lose it..gain it..lol   I have had no problems.. i get amazed when i can eat a grilled chicken snack wrap at mcdonalds and take off most of the wrap and be full when i am done with that little piece of chix.  ha.  i get upset if i am eating more than 700 calories..(wtheck huh?) when i think about it i probably ate 3000 before.  So the emotional thing is the hardest but being fat was emotional too.  Now i can tie my shoes..shave my legs..not have to do hard manuevers to do simple everyday things..lol  i can walk without getting all winded..i can do so many things i couldn't before..amazing..and i have only started my journey.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

TrueNorthFriend
on 11/5/11 8:47 am - Canada
 Yes, I would do it over and over and over again.  100% new lease on life.  While embracing the one who carried all that weight for 25 years, and loving her fiercely...  I now feel that my body matches who I am.  Can't really explain it ... because I am not my body... but in this world, the body counts big time!   

Now - spending my whole savings?  I guess I would have to say no - just because I am in Canada and for many years weight loss surgery wasn't covered by our health care (in Ontario), and then when it was the doctors who could do it were few and far between... so people waited for 5+ years.  During the past five years weight loss surgery is much more widely available and covered by insurance.  So, I could have paid from my own funds to go to the U.S. for the surgery - but I never did.  

poet_kelly
on 11/5/11 9:15 am - OH
Yep.  Sure would.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BBall58
on 11/5/11 9:16 am - MD
In a heartbeat
Katari
on 11/5/11 9:18 am - OR
I'm just over two years out and YES, I would do it again in a heartbeat! Now, would I do it if it meant spending my whole life savings to do it? No. But to keep this in perspective, I was relatively healthy, border line diabetic yes (under control with metformin and diet alone) IF I  had been absolutely miserable ( I wasn't), unhealthy (diabetic, sleep apnea, etc.), and needed the surgery yes, I'd do it.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

semitchell1972
on 11/5/11 9:39 am
Thank you for the question. It is great to hear other people's feedback on if this was a good choice or not.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views
Forum Search Error & 404