back pain

horkeler1
on 11/6/11 2:22 am - Windsor, CO
I know its probally from my body trying to adjust to my weight loss,ive lost 85lbs and im 1 year out.well my back feels like theirs a knot in the middle if I stand to long.what should I do get massages,go to the chiro more often,I use bengay a heating pad,it sucks.sometimes I take a tylenol....thanks
poet_kelly
on 11/6/11 2:40 am - OH
It seems like a lot of people end up with back pain after surgery, which seems kind of odd to me because I would  think  losing weight would be good for your back.  But I read somewhere that losing a lot of weight, especially in a short time, changes our posture and that can cause back pain.  If that's the case you'd think it would go away after a while when your body adjusted, but mine never did.

I think either massage or chiropractic are good options.  You could try both and see what helps the most.  I did see a chiropractor for my back but after one adjustment it actually seemed to make things worse.  I could hardly get off the table.  He did not want to work on me after that, at least not until I'd seen an orthopedic doc, and I was actually afraid to let him work on me then.  I did use chiropractic in the past for a neck problem, saw the same chiropractor then, and had great results.  So I am a big believer in chiropractic and I don't really think this guy did anything wrong that made my pain much worse, although maybe he did, how would I know?  But since then I have just been scared to get an adjustment again and you know how you have to really relax when they adjust your back?  I don't think I could relax enough because I'd be afraid of the same thing happening again that happened last time.

Anyway, I did see an orthopedic doc that specializes in back problems and learned I have a herniated disc.  He wrote an order for physical therapy, and I went but not for as long as the physical therapist thought I should go.  But I didn't think it was helping and it bored me terribly.  I did a round of oral steroids, which did not help much either.  Finally the doc recommended epidural steroid injections, which sounded very scary to me but I agreed because I was desparate for some relief.  They worked great!  I've done it twice now and will probably continue doing them.  They last a long time so you don't have to get them done often.  I had mine done a couple weeks ago and within two days, I had no pain at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Carol S.
on 11/6/11 4:59 am - Milwaukee, WI
 Work on your core muscles.  Seriously.  Stregthening your core and stomach muscles will relieve your back pain but definitely check with your doctor to make sure it isn't a slipped disk or something more serious.  Also, check your shoes!  Are they giving you enough support?  The husband has back problems and orthotics has saved him a lot of pain, medication that he doesn't want to take etc.

Go stand on that Dr. Schoals thing in Walmart to see what kind of support you need etc.  

I went for a nice long walk in some old shoes the other day and realized that that is what was making my knee hurt.  Time to pitch the old shoes.

Do you have a walking shoe store in your area?  They can find a shoe with the right kind of support for you and your feet.

Good luck.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

roxie46
on 11/6/11 5:11 am
I too have back problems and i am almost at my 6th month post op. I found out i have severe arthritis in my back which is all over and my right knee as weel . told that in about a year i need my right knee replaced. Even the doctors I have seen for my back and knee were surprised I am not getting better but worst pain in my back and knee. I went from size 24 pants to 16 which does makes a difference. I cant stand or sit for long time cause the pain gets worst thats why I have to keep moving around so it wont bother me as much but my pain meds i have to take cause it gets to the point where in order for me to walk more and do things i have to do i need something to ease the pain. I am very greatful I had the chance for my new life with  a new journey along with every one else on here. I am going to be seeing a phyiscal therapist for my back to see what else needs to be done cause that right now is the most pain I ever had and seems like arthrits never goes away just spreads.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 135 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics