Loose Skin Blues

megan R.
on 11/19/11 12:02 am - orange county, CA
RNY on 05/27/10 with
Im almost a year and a half out and Ive done better than I ever could have imagined. My original goal was 125lbs, but I am now down to 116.5lbs. I am more than happy with my acomplishment, but what Im not happy with is all the excess skin. Ive looked into plastic surgery but I dont have the insurance, money, or credit to make that happen. Have any of you experienced loose skin? If so how did you deal with it?

“I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.? Mae West

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/19/11 3:25 am - OH
Unfortunately, there really are only two choices... have plastic surgery or just live with it the best you can.  You can improve it a TEENY bit by adding muscle mass (the additional muscle mass will fill out the skin a bit more), and if you keep it well hydrated it will look a bit smoother, but you are pretty much stuck with it.

I had my arms, mons, and tummy done (I am still paying off my tummy tuck from 2 years ago), but my thighs are hideous looking and my 36DDD boobs hang (literally) to my waist and I cannot afford any additional plastic surgery, so I invested in very supportive bras and buy only knee length shorts (and wear swim shorts over my swimming suit) to cover the skin that hangs all the way to my knees.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Laura in Texas
on 11/19/11 3:30 am
Before plastics, I wore really good shapewear. People did not believe I needed plastics because I hid it so well. Start working on restoring your credit or figure out another way to afford plastics in the future if you do not think you can be happy otherwise. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cookiebaby
on 11/19/11 8:13 am - Alton, IL
I was just posting elsewhere about the IVC filter.  Did you get one after you developed blood clots?   I am looking for alternatives to surgery as I could  never bring myself to have another surgery.  I've seen articles on the lasers, etc. but I doubt they would help enough for severe cases.  I guess mine is severe because an ex boyfriend that wants to cause me trouble calls me a hound dog - he's a lovely man!   (thus the "ex")
littleskie
on 11/19/11 5:00 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I just had my pannus removed. The skin that hangs down from my stomach and covered the entire private area. I wish I hadn't done it. Now I have blood clots and am on warfarin. Then of course it turns out i'm developing an allergy to warfarin, ya know, the medicine I need to live. My insurance won't pay for the other med that works the same because its way too expensive.

If you want it removed a lot of plastic surgeons have arrangements with credit companies so you can pay it out.

Try to look at it as your badge of honor. You worked darn hard to have that empty skin. Yeah, I don't buy it either...lol. Sorry.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

megan R.
on 11/19/11 9:58 am - orange county, CA
RNY on 05/27/10 with
Thanks for all the support guys, its nice to get other peoples opinions. Maybe I should just learn to deal with it rather then trying ti skrimp and save for years or go even further into debt.

“I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.? Mae West

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 333 views