Two days to go!!

CV-22WIFEY
on 11/19/11 1:24 pm - mary esther, FL
Well this is my first time posting on a forum!

I am due to Have Roux en Y Gastric by pass on Monday, and any advice would be greatly appreciated,i know it will be a different lifestyle and i will have to get used to a lot of new things!!

I hope to get to know a few people on OH and pool the experience of you guys that have gone thru all this already!!

I have so many emotions going on right now!!

many Thanks
Terrilmk
on 11/19/11 2:22 pm - SC
 Welcome.I'm right behind you on the 29th.  There is lots of info and support here.
 HW 240 SW 224 CW 167          
Kat Kat
on 11/19/11 2:54 pm - AZ
We're a close knit group, so we're here for each other just as we'll be here for you too. I think the most important thing at first is to be patient, and kind to yourself. If your mind is right the rest will follow. Also focus on protein and fluids.  Yes, it will be a lifestyle change, but you'll adapt because the surgery will make eating smaller amount easier to do. Get ready for some of the other new things life will bring you, like feeling better! You'll be able to cross your legs. Walking and going up stairs will be easier. Clothes will look better. For so many of us, our lives have just begun again.

Welcome and Best Wishes,
Kat

mikjul1
on 11/19/11 11:49 pm - bel air, MD
Good luck I am not far from you either 6th of Dec. lets us know how you do.
CV-22WIFEY
on 11/20/11 2:47 am - mary esther, FL
Thank you everyone,am so glad i found this group you all seam so nice and supportive,.
Will keep you posted of my progress!
Amber L.
on 11/20/11 3:02 am - Sweden
Welcome aboard. Read read read and fire off any questions you might have.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

Paula F.
on 11/20/11 7:48 am - Rochester Hills , MI
Best of luck to you on Monday!  We have a spot waiting for you on the Loser's Bench :o)

I had a morphine pump in the hospital and it was a beautiful thing.  If you have one, don't be afraid to use it.  Also, when I went home, I had liquid Lortab for pain.  I didn't want to be on Rx pain meds too long because of side effects, so I made sure I had some liquid Tylenol Rapid Release at home.  I switched to that my fourth day at home and did well.  Do what is best for you.

You might want some chapstick if you lips get dry and some people like me get hot and a small fan at the hospital was a godsend for me.

Also, you will need to make sure you get in as many liquids/water as you can to make sure you don't get dehydrated.  Just sip, sip, sip, all day long and if you wake up at night - sip some more.  In case they accidentally give you one, remember no straws.

As soon as you are able - walk, walk, walk.  I worked my way up in the hospital and then did laps through the kitchen and living room when I got home.

For you trip home, make sure you have a pillow to hug for the bumps in the road, or if you need to cough.  Try to time your pain meds for the trip home, if you can.  I also wore my largest pair of pj's home so I wouldn't have pressure on my entry wounds.  I big robe this time of the year would be comfortable too.  You don't need to leave in clothes, you are a patient and you aren't going to want to have to change again when you get home.

I am sure there is much more, but that's all I can think of off of the top of my head.

Best wishes for a speedy surgery and recovery,
Paula
CV-22WIFEY
on 11/20/11 9:37 am - mary esther, FL
On November 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM Pacific Time, Paula F. wrote:
Best of luck to you on Monday!  We have a spot waiting for you on the Loser's Bench :o)

I had a morphine pump in the hospital and it was a beautiful thing.  If you have one, don't be afraid to use it.  Also, when I went home, I had liquid Lortab for pain.  I didn't want to be on Rx pain meds too long because of side effects, so I made sure I had some liquid Tylenol Rapid Release at home.  I switched to that my fourth day at home and did well.  Do what is best for you.

You might want some chapstick if you lips get dry and some people like me get hot and a small fan at the hospital was a godsend for me.

Also, you will need to make sure you get in as many liquids/water as you can to make sure you don't get dehydrated.  Just sip, sip, sip, all day long and if you wake up at night - sip some more.  In case they accidentally give you one, remember no straws.

As soon as you are able - walk, walk, walk.  I worked my way up in the hospital and then did laps through the kitchen and living room when I got home.

For you trip home, make sure you have a pillow to hug for the bumps in the road, or if you need to cough.  Try to time your pain meds for the trip home, if you can.  I also wore my largest pair of pj's home so I wouldn't have pressure on my entry wounds.  I big robe this time of the year would be comfortable too.  You don't need to leave in clothes, you are a patient and you aren't going to want to have to change again when you get home.

I am sure there is much more, but that's all I can think of off of the top of my head.

Best wishes for a speedy surgery and recovery,
Paula
 Paula
Thank you so much,this has really helped the pillow idea is great,I have 
Packed really baggy clothes night gowns and pj's,

CV-22WIFEY
on 11/30/11 6:57 am - mary esther, FL
 8 days post Op now and all things considered I feel pretty good,the first
Theee days where rough but each day I get better and better,Dr took
Out drains today and that has made me feel much better,have lost 23 pounds
Already!! 
Most Active