question for Kelly about iron.

Jackie M.
on 11/28/11 10:58 pm - Fairhaven , MA
I remember you talking about a certain iron vitamin or supplement to take when you have to and it doesnt constipate you.  Can you tell me the name of it please.  Thanks for your help.  Hope you are feeling better.    Jackie

poet_kelly
on 11/28/11 11:02 pm - OH
Carbonyl.  It's a type of iron.  The brand I use is Sundown Perfect Iron but Feosol also makes a carbonyl.  Just make sure you pick up the carbonyl, not the ferrous sulfate, if you get the Feosol because they make both.

and yeah, I feel better.  Thanks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jackie M.
on 11/28/11 11:11 pm - Fairhaven , MA
thank you Kelly.

karen D.
on 11/29/11 2:27 am
How much do you take?  I have been on prescription iron since my surger 18 months ago and my insurance company has denied refills.  Sort of lost on what and how much to take.
poet_kelly
on 11/29/11 2:34 am - OH
What was your iron level last time you had labs?  Your ferritin?

The ASMBS says menstruating women need 54-63 mg iron and everyone else needs 36 mg, unless your labs show you need more.  I personally take 75 mg a day, with 500 mg vitamin C.  That keeps my iron and ferritin levels good - my ferritin is over 200.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Reel
on 11/29/11 3:33 am
My clinic has me on ferrous sulfate, and it makes me constipated so I only take one 325mg tablet every other day. They want me to take 2 tablets a day 650mg of ferrous sulfate. I don't think I can comply with that. I had to take fiber, colace and milk of magnesia to unbind me, and then I ended up with diarreah for the whole night.  Tell me a little more about this carbonyl please?

Highest Weight: 314, Pre-Op Weight: 294, Surgical Weight: 279, 1st Goal Weight: 170, 2nd Goal Weight: 155, Current Weight:163

poet_kelly
on 11/29/11 3:50 am - OH
The reason ferrous sulfate makes you constipated and carbonyl usually doesn't is because ferrous sulfate contains a lot less elemental iron and a lot more iron salts.  The salts are what constipates you (and I don't mean salt like sodium).  The 325 mg ferrous sulfate only has 65 mg elemental iron.  the rest is the iron salts that stop you up.  Carbonyl iron is all elemental iron, though.  60 mg carbonyl iron is 60 mg elemental iron.

The equivalent amount of carbonyl iron to what they have advised you to take would be 130 mg per day, but you may not need that much.  Is your iron level very low?  It probably is if you've only been getting 65 mg elemental iron every other day, huh?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 294 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics