sip sip sip UGH!

NANCY C.
on 11/30/11 2:42 am - OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
 I am having a hard time getting in all the water I am supposed to be drinking.   I have never been a big water person but I know it is so important now especially.  Is it okay if I flavor my water with sugar free Koolaid or can I drink a vitamin water and count that instead?

Also, on the protein shakes - are these to be my meals?  I have been drinking things like AdvantEDGE low carb shakes but not more than 2 a day.  Then I will have one of those Soup at Hand tomato soup things.  I do take my vitamins but I don't think I am getting more than about 45-50 grams of protein a day.

I am thinking not getting enough water and protein is what is slowing down my weight loss?  I will take any pointers I can get!

HW  313   SW  285   Goal 155

poet_kelly
on 11/30/11 2:56 am - OH
That could slow weight loss down, but really, slow weight loss is a minor issue compared to dehydration and kidney problems and muscle loss and even heart damage that can eventually occur if you don't get your fluids and protein.

You can flavor your water with anything sugar free and decaf that you want - crystal light, sugar free koolaid, slices of lemon or lime, decaf tea or coffee, herbal tea, sugar free hot chocolate, etc.  All lliquids count toward your water - some people do not count beverages with caffeine but everything else should count.  Sugar free jello and popsicles count, too.  And your protein shakes count.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

paranoidmother21
on 11/30/11 3:02 am - Lake Zurich, IL
My surgeon's protocol said to count appropriate liquids - not jus****er. So unless your surgeon said no vitamin water or SF flavorings, you should be fine counting those. Many people aren'****er drinkers, so it's really about getting in sufficient fluid to not get dehydrated.

Looking at the stats on the shakes you're drinking, yes, those would be meal replacement. Your surgeon may differ, but mine wanted me on a shake with lower fat and higher protein per calorie count, something like About Time, or Isopure, or the Syntrax isolates, so that I could use them for protein and get food as food - but you're probably a bit early for that anyway.

At 3 weeks out, your weight loss will slow, but it will pick up again in a couple weeks at most. In the mean time, you really should call your surgeon's (or dietician's) office - as these questions really should be answered for YOUR case based on YOUR needs and your surgeon's plan. Every plan is different.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

NANCY C.
on 11/30/11 3:20 am - OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
 Thank you so much.  I was afraid it had to be plain water.  That relieves some of my stress right there!

HW  313   SW  285   Goal 155

Jamie B.
on 11/30/11 3:28 am - MI
I was told not to use a straw...which is how I ALWAYS drink....after 2 weeks of trying to sip, sip, sip without my straw...I called and asked WHY?? They say because you tend to "gulp" more or swallow more air...side effect being burping or gas.

Well, I took my chances. I KNEW I would consume more liquid via straw....and I do!! LOTS more. I love Crystal Light Lemonade (reoccuring deliveries from Amazon!!).

Just thought it might work for you! Good luck....and the first 4 weeks are the worst...it ALL gets easier.
Jamie        
undergoingchange
on 11/30/11 4:11 am
The dietician at my surgeion's office told me to avoid tomato soup because it had lots of sugar in it.

Your dietician may feel it is acceptable.

Good luck!
LivinTheDream
on 11/30/11 12:50 pm
I drink Crystal Light (actually the Wal-Mart brand) everyday.  Plain water and I don't get along too well.

I was told the same thing about a straw...that it tends to introduce more air.  I've found that if I drink from a water bottle or a straw, I drink more and I swallow less air.  When I drink for a cup or glass I swallow so much air I can hardly drink.
HW: 360  SW: 333

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 116 views