Gout?!? Seriously?

KimminyK
on 11/30/11 3:19 am - Hannon, Canada
I'm heading off to the doctor shortly, but has anyone ever had a "gout" attack post op?

I'm six months post op, haven't had a gout attack for at least 20 years or so.

Then a few weeks ago, while I was sitting on the bed putting on some pants (truth be told, I was trying on a whole lot of pants that used to be too small ;D), and got a horrible pain in my Achilles Tendon. I couldn't even walk!

As I was going to the hospital for my 6 month blood work up anyway, I stopped by Emergency to see what the heck I'd done.  The doctor confirmed a Sprained Achilles Tendon.  I was told to stop my Aquafit for one week and ice it regularly, while taking Extra-strength Tylenol for the pain.
It slowly cleared up and I was chomping at the bit to get back to the pool ( I go 4 x per week now)
and once back at Aquafit, I was okay if I was careful.

Last week I got really bad pain in my big toe...then I thought to myself that it reminded me of gout!

On Saturday, my knee started to feel like it was out of joint.  I must add that I'm waiting for 2 complete knee replacements, but my doctor wanted me to wait until age 50, and lose some weight.
The pain in my knee got worse and worse. I elevated it, took Tylenol and iced it. It continued to get worse so that I could only hobble around on crutches.

By Monday night I was in the worst pain I have EVER been in! I couldn't even sit still I was in so much pain! :'(

I have continued to ice and elevate it and eat Tylenol like vitamins. The pain has lessened so that it's at least bearable now, and I'm able to hop with just one crutch/cane.

When I started to research this online, I see that there is some correlation between GBS patients and Gout.

Any suggestions out there as to dietary adjustments I can make? 

I am currently off ALL my meds, and only taking my Calcium Citrate, Zinc and PreNatal vitamins every day.  I'd hate to have to take medication long-term if I can avoid this nasty ailment by changing my diet somehow. 

I'm actually drinking Black Cherry juice (HORRIBLY SWEET) in 1 ounce doses a couple of times a day. It's supposed to help the levels of Uric Acid, but I don't know if it's the juice, the ice or the rest that's doing the most good.

I've also read (ironically, post-attack) that Sardines, scallops, mackeral etc can cause a build up of uric acid.  I literally had sardines for the first time in my life last week, then had a Seafood Chowder for dinner on Sunday.

Anyone advice ore information about this would be appreciated. 

I'm leery about what the doctor will say as this will be an "On-call" doctor, not familiar with GBS patients, but I'm not getting a call back yet from the Bariatric Clinic.

Looking to the wiley vetrans for good advice!!

Cheers,
Kim

Dave Chambers
on 11/30/11 3:45 am - Mira Loma, CA
The topic of gout and being a post op has been discussed at my support groups. Protein supplementation may be an issue, and you may have to choose food wisely.  I'd have a good discussion with your surgeon or PCP about gout and being a post op.  There are at least 3 members of my support groups who have gout.  Minor attacks of these 2-4 year post ops have been noted, but no major attacks. I know one woman with gout who has to take her gout meds long term as she has several family members, so it has a heavy genetic component in her family. DAVE 

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

vidsid
on 11/30/11 3:55 am, edited 11/30/11 3:57 am - OH
I'm really sorry you're in pain.

I've had something similar which was 'Psuedo-gout'.  Instead of uric acid crystals, it's calcium.  It was due to low levels of vitamin D which caused secondary hyperparathyroidism. 

I had this a year before wls, treated it with heavy doses of vit D,  and thought I was done with it.  About 3 weeks after wls it started again.  I couldn't leave my leg in any one position for more than a minute or so.  I've upped my D3 and it's mostly gone a couple of weeks later. 

Good luck and feel better!

HW:343  SW:318  CW:199

KimminyK
on 11/30/11 4:07 am - Hannon, Canada
Thanks for the replies!
Interesting about the Vitamin D....Pre-Op I was extremely Vitamin D deficient and was prescribed a mega-dose each week for 12 weeks.....
I will defintely be investigating this.
Thanks again!
plum21
on 11/30/11 6:37 am - Miami, FL
 I had a gout like attack 9 months post op. Hurt like the dickens for 4 days and then was gone and nothing since.

Keeping my fingers crossed you won't have one again.

BoomerSooner1
on 11/30/11 8:34 am
 I'm Pre op and have gout that can be controlled by diet but I still have attacks now and then. Water consumption is a big key for me. Also, my Doc has me take a teaspoon of baking soda a few times a week. That's right, baking soda. Straight. Seems to work but don't know if that will be allowed post op.
 Don't ask me how we lost to Baylor.  I can't figure it Out either!            
Geminisappho
on 11/30/11 6:29 pm - Atascadero, CA
Hi Kim. I have gout and take Uloriq 40mg once a day. I have never had an attack but did random bloodwork over 5 years ago and had hyperuricemia so I take it to keep my uric acid down so I hopefully never get an attack. Have you had labs checked lately? If it is high you should be on meds even if you are not having attacks. I have never had any side effect from it other than no "gouty flare ups" so I would seriously consider getting some meds on board. Just because there is no pain does no mean your body is not storing uric crystals in your joints. Prevenitive is the way to go.

In regards to foods. I know high purine/protein diets can aggrivate gout. Unfortunatly that is basically what we are on for life is a high protein diet so you may incresingly get worse because of the diet you need to be on to sustain life. There are some foods that are better than others (link below) My advice as someone who has lived with it for years without any pain is to get your uric acid checked and if you are hyper then take the medication to put you in the normal range. Unfortunatly we can't change our diet enough to not need meds in my opinion. Good luck to you!

http://www.gout.com/treating-gout-flares/pain-management#/treating-gout-pain/healthy-lifestyle

-Adrienne
***ADRIENNE**

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?