Calories and Fat

mrslatch
on 12/2/11 8:54 am - Fort Campbell, KY
Two questions both about nutrition, but not exactly related:

Okay, what do YOU do when your getting to your calorie 'limit' for the day and your still hungry at say...7pm, after a workout?

Me. I'm about to go ahead and have a healthy snack and just call it a day. I'm good to go on protein and my carbs are good too, so I feel I have the room to eat a snack even if it will put me above my 'limit'.

AND

Do you count your fat? I log my food on Myfitnesspal. It tracks the fat, protein, carbs, calories. I normally just keep an eye on getting enough protein, and not having too many carbs, especially white/refined ones. I have noticed my fat is a little 'high' lately. Should we even be concerned with that? I mean things like cheese, do have fat.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

christinalee
on 12/2/11 11:05 am, edited 12/2/11 11:06 am - At Home in, NH
Morgan,

If you are truly hungry, I think you should have that healthy snack, even if it puts you over you "limit". You seem to be really in touch with your body's signals and don't seem to confuse hunger with head hunger, so I think you should listen to what she's trying to tell you...something along the lines of "yo, that exercise you just did used up my food stores, it's time to restock the pantry." I find that when I work out and really push my burn, it really almost kills my appetite, but if I work out moderately, I am more likely to be hungrier...it's a mystery to me! And if I really listen closely to what my body is telling me, I eat if I'm truly hungry regardless of my limit. But I do try for a healthful and low calorie snack.

As far as fat, for general health purposes you should be concerned with the amount of saturated fats vs mono and poly-unsaturated fats. Our bodies need fat, it's what makes our skin soft our bowels move better and generally fills an essential role in our eating plans and body functions. However the general rule is to limit full fat dairy and animal fats for general, non bariatric specific health--you know, lower cholesterol, etc. Of course that being said, with having to push protein first, sometimes it's hard to eat only low HEALTHY fats. Avocados, canola oil, olive oil, nuts, all have healthier fats. Full-fat Cheese is not in the healthy fat column (shucks), so I tend to go for the 75% reduced fat cheese..not as tasty, but ultimately better for me and has good protein numbers. Same goes for choosing lower fat meats, chicken and fish, vs sirloin steak or corned beef, or bacon yikes!). I'd suggest finding out which fat is the worst offender and try to replace it with a healthier fat. Easier said than done, but something to work towards. And yes I use myfitnesspal too, and love the pie chart on the home button. It's so cool to visually see the percentages of fat, carbs and protein consumed daily.

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views