Is this dumping?

SouthernFriedIssues
on 12/3/11 2:00 pm

This may be a ridiculous question...but I am in need of some insight.  Tonight, I had the second episode of what I can only describe as EXCRUCIATING AGONY.  This is the second time I have experienced it.  I am 3 months post op.  I have had no 'classic' episodes of dumping. I have eaten a bite or two during Thanksgiving of some very 'bad' food choices (high carb/high sugar etc.)  Nothing with sugar bothered me.  I also ate three small bites of birthday cake for a friend's birthday.  It tasted like I had a mouthfull of lard--but I had no physical reaction to the sugar.

My two episodes happend after taking prescribed medication.

About one month ago, I had a back issue flare up and was prescribed muscle relaxers and pain meds.  After being up all night with muscle spasms, I took the prescribed meds (I told the doctor I was a bariatric patient) and ended up in agony that lasted about 20 minutes.

Tonight, I took maybe one teaspoon of some cough syrup (left over from a severe cold about a year ago) because I've got a chest cold.  This was prescribed way before my surgery so I'm not 100 percent sure it's something I can have.

Anyway, the pain I had both time feels....well, the best way to describe it is as if one person is stabbing me with a broad sword..and another is spraying my pouch with a blow torch.  This time it lasted for a half hour and I sincerely thought I was going to lose touch with reality due to the excruciating pain. 

It wasn't food related and it hurt directly in my pouch area not anywhere near my intestines.

Is this dumping?  There was no vomitting or anything....just horrible, gut wrenching pain.

Surgery date 8/31/2011 Starting Weight 278/ Surgery Weight 262 Current Weight 178
Goal Wht 165.....ONEDERLAND REACHED 1-27-12

~Women who behave themselves rarely make history~  
poet_kelly
on 12/3/11 2:16 pm - OH
Doesn't sound like dumping.  Dumping usually occurs when someone eats too much sugar - a bite or two or cake would not have enough sugar to dump on.  Now, the cough syrup may have had some sugar, but again, probably not enough to dump on.

Anyway, symptoms of dumping include rapid heart rate, sweating, and sometimes nausea and/or diarrhea along with stomach pain.  What pain med did you get for your back?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SouthernFriedIssues
on 12/4/11 3:35 am
The pain meds for the back were Hydrocodone APAP 5mg/500MG tabs and Methocarbamol 500 Mg. I took one each for the back.  The cough syrup was Cheratussin AC Syrup.  I only took 1 teaspoon.  I'm guessing it is narcotic based.
Surgery date 8/31/2011 Starting Weight 278/ Surgery Weight 262 Current Weight 178

BWB
on 12/3/11 2:20 pm
 When I eat too fast I get a pain across my chest, I salivate, and I want to throw up.  Usually it takes two or three trips to get rid of the feeling and then I'm fine.  I think the food gets backed up in my throat. that's why you are supposed to take thirty minutes to eat.  I don't know why your meds are doing that to you...maybe you need to call your doctor.
I've heard of some people feeling horrible for an hour or two but I haven't yet.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/3/11 2:33 pm, edited 12/3/11 9:23 pm - OH
No, it's not dumping. My guess is that the alcohol in the cough syrup, and perhaps something in one of the other medications, is irritating your pouch lining causing you the distress. Edited to add: Another possibility is that you are developing an ulcer and the raw area is reacting to the medications.

Cough syrups don't generally have NSAIDs in them, so it is probably safe for you to take (other than the pain, of course!).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Apple-Jax
on 12/3/11 5:50 pm
Were the bback pain meds andd cough syrup both narcotic based? Interesting. Hope this doesnt happen to you again!

Support Group for Fall 2011 WLS! Please come and join!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Fall_2011_WLS/

SouthernFriedIssues
on 12/4/11 3:37 am
Apparently they both are narcoitc based.

Thanks!

iisme
on 12/3/11 9:21 pm
I was thinking the same thing.....wondering if the cough syrup was narcodic based

10 pounds loss pre-op
Marianne H.
on 12/4/11 12:10 am - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15
Unsure about your pain meds and why you had such a reaction on that occasion. The cough meds typically have a robitussion (guaifenesin) base. This medication can cause SEVERE spasm of the stomach muscle and the pain you described. I had this reaction before my RNY surgery and the way around this was to mix the meds in an 8 oz glass of water and dilute it so when it hit the stomach it was weaker. This prevented the pain. I rememebr thinking I was DYING when it happened to me. Hope this helps and feel better soon!

SouthernFriedIssues
on 12/4/11 3:40 am
Well, I haven't had dumping...I guess that a good thing? All I know is narcotics or narcotic based stuff is a seemingly LETHAL thing for me! I honestly thought I was dying the pain was so severe.

Thanks for all of the responses!!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?