Recovery from surgery

Ding-E-Girl
on 12/5/11 4:00 am - MS
    Hey yall.  My surgery is scheduled for Dec 13th and I am trying to plan things out for my lil girl from next week.    How long did most of you stay in the hospital and how hard is it the week following surgery ?     I do not want her to know about this,  nor my family so its been hard without much help !!  
Vanessa A.
on 12/5/11 4:20 am - FL
I was up and about 3 days post op. No pain or anything only thing is you cant carry over 15lbs for the first month.

God grant me with the serenity to accept the things i cannot change ;  Courage to change the things that i can ;  and the wisdom to know the difference!!!

oxfordcat
on 12/5/11 4:22 am - NJ
i was in the hospital from TUes to Thursday.   How old is your lil girl.  Mine is 10.  So she may be a lot older than yours.  But, i shared with her the whole experience ==even watched the video together of surgery (she likes stuff like that).   How will you explain being not home for 2 days?  For not being able to play with her when you get home?  She will sense something.  Kids are much more attune than we give credit to. 

Because  I had been admited to the hospital with a near fatal DVT when she was 5  i needed her to understand this was different.   That experience 4 year ago was hard on her.  She couldn't see me int he hospital at first.  and then i was on all sorts of wires and tubes.  I was in for 2 weeks==over Easter.  I tried to shield her thinking it was best, but she was worried.  I told the guidance counselor to ask if she needed to talk.  Her little kindergarten friends even made me cards.  And it helped her.  

This time, i just explained that it was my choice.  I wanted to be healthier so i can do more things with her.  I told her the worst would be that  I would be tired.  My belly would be sore.  etc.

She has been AMAZING.  Like my own little cheering squad.  My first week home and she would bring me an ice pop or broth. 

She keeps me in check too.  Asks if i have a water bottle on me when we go out.  Asks me when she gets home if i had all my protein shakes.  Did i try a new food?  We are even trying out names for my pouch...   

My question to you is why are you keeping it from the rest of your family?  My sister flew out from OH the first week i was home to help me. (both parents are gone)  I didn't need a lot (but she drove me places, bc i was on the pain meds).  I couldn't imagine doing it alone.  This is a long road and you need all the help and encouragement.

I told the people at my office ( i took the full 5 weeks off, no pay nothing) so that when i do come back they can support me and not bring me the neverending food that appears in our office or remind me to "have a piece of cake, or bagel, or danish or whatever.  

You have to do what works for you.  I hope others can post more info to help you too. 

Good Luck.   Hope this made sense...Sorry for the ramble.

Catherine
"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
antywawa
on 12/5/11 4:22 am
I had my surgery on the 12th of September I went home the 13th. I think it depends on the surgeon. My friends who had it done by a different doctor where in the hospital for 3 days. The first couple of days I was sore but not in alot of pain. It was a little hard to sleep at night but I was lucky when it came to pain. Remember though not everyone has the same tolerance. You will be tired and weak the first week but by the second week you should be better.

Wish you luck and think positive.....

poet_kelly
on 12/5/11 4:24 am - OH
I stayed in the hospital one night.  The first week I was tired a lot and had some pain but not too bad.  How old is your little girl?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cindybogge
on 12/5/11 4:27 am
My doctor told me I would be in for 3-5 days,  however, I am having my surgery done "open".  Not laproscopic.  The doctor attempted (unsuccessfully) to do lap band on me in July.  I spent the night and that was all.  Just sore and lethargic for a week or so.  My best wishes to you.
BWB
on 12/5/11 4:36 am
 You shouldn't feel really sick at any time.  I came home with a pump attached above my belly button, with pain med,  but didn't feel like doing a lot either.  It is serious surgery and you need to take care of yourself first.  If you don't have someone who can come in for a short period of time, try to find a friend who will take your daughter to their place for a play date.  I was released on the third day and came home to a house full of family with two grand daughters.  It was nice to know they cared about how I was feeling and if I needed anything.  Lifting is restricted for a few weeks so tell yourself that you can't risk the chance that you might have to go back to the hospital for repairs.  
Good luck.  In no time you will be back to normal and she will forget all about it too.

jamiemariep
on 12/5/11 4:37 am
I 'm one week out. I was only in overnight, discharged very late the day after surgery. I've been absolutely fine, had a little bit of soreness (like I did too many crunches) and some minor back pain but didn't even need the pain meds. I have two little ones (3 & 1) so my only issue is that I'm not "supposed" to life them (I pick up the 1 year old, kind of can't help it)  but otherwise my recovery has been a breeze.

I don't mean to pry, so feel free not to answer, but you're not telling ANYONE that you're having this procedure? I think support, especially in the days and months following surgery when everything is so different, is key. If your family/people close to you aren't supportive I get that but won't it be hard when they start noticing your drastic weight loss?

Tiara Classic 5k 5/13/12: 37:19
Marion Village 5k 6/23/12 32:55
Rochester Road Race 5k 8/11 29:58
Acushnet Road Race 4 mile 9/3 41:07
Spooky Spooner 5k 10/28 PR 28:05

Jess6580
on 12/5/11 5:40 am - Sioux Falls, SD
I had my surgery last Friday, the 2nd.  Got out yesterday the 4th.  I'm tired, but not too bad.  I do have some pain in my stomach, but nothing unbearable.  I went shopping for about an hour this morning.  So life isn't back to normal, I do nap ALOT, but at 3 days out, I feel really good. 
  HW: 345  SW:329   CW: 226   *16lbs lost pre-op  103 post op so far!*          
Ding-E-Girl
on 12/5/11 5:47 am - MS
    Thank yall.   My lil girl is 9 yrs old and I would just rather she not know because then my ex and the whole world would know !!!    Its just something I prefer to keep private at least until after its over.  She will be staying with her daddy that week and I have a couple of really good friends that are gonna help me during recovery if i need it.    Another issue I have,  is that I am using my savings to self pay for this.    Im really having a hard time with that part and tomorrow is the day I go hand them the money !!!   But I know that i will be a much better and healthier person in the end.   
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 295 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics