Calories vs not enough protein

donna68
on 12/8/11 9:30 am
This may sound dumb so please don't bash me....I am expereincing some issues with loosing.  I have been monitoring my intake...I have done a poor job of staying focused, trying to kick it back in though when a light bulb went off in my head or maybe the light turned off once I start reading some of yall's replies.  To get in 80 grams of protein we have to eat or drink it.  I have been doing well I think in making decent maybe not the best but by no means bad choices.  So breakfast 8-12 grams protein, lunch another 20, and about the same on dinner. 48-52 grams does not equal 80+, but in those grams I am intaking I am also consuming 700 ish in calories sometimes a bit more.  Now to obtain additional protein say in a shake form that increases my calorie intake above 1000 just slightly.  I'm not in shape enough yet to burn the extra calories above and beyond my normal exercise and daily routine.  Any suggestions my doctor wants me to consume only 3 meals a day.  So should my protein drink count as a meal or should it be a supplement. 

taylorwayzz
on 12/8/11 9:36 am - MI
my NUT told me that a protein shake should be used as a meal replacement. I only have to get in 60 grams of protein a day so i dont really do shakes anymore. i try to eat foods high in protein (like a turkey burger.....30 grams of protein and 130 calories) and thats how i stay around 800 calories and still get my 60 grams of protein. Hope this helps!!!
 Lynnette                 
macjuicy
on 12/8/11 9:45 am, edited 12/8/11 9:47 am - FL
I consume about 1100-1200 calories a day with 100g of protein average an I still lose weight, Im 5 months out and I walk/run on treadmill for about 30min a day 5 days a week. 1000 calories is nothing especially if your getting your preotein and hydration quota in. Example when I was on regular diets before my surgery with my weight and height the estimated calorie intake I was allowed was between 2500-2700 calories and was supposed to safely lose about 1 1/2 lbs per week. 1000 calories is a joke so dont even worry keep concentrating on Protein and Hydration and you will lose, my doctor told me if you lightly excercise and intake 1000 calories a day anyone loses weight. also 30min of walking burns 196 calories which actually ads to your daily allowance.

Also its best to eat atleast 5 small meals a day which will keep your metabolism flowing which in turn will burn fat. your doctor having you on 800 calories per day seems very low to me, we had are surgery pretty close dates and it looks like we have lost the same amount of weight.

Good Luck

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

poet_kelly
on 12/8/11 9:46 am - OH
I imagine you burn more than 1000 calories a day just sitting on the couch.  And a protein shake does not have to have 300 calories - Syntrax Nectar has, what?  90 calories I think and 23 grams of protein?  Unjury has 100 calories and 20 grams of protein, maybe?  So if you're getting 700 calories now, you could get another 20 grams protein for about 100 calories.

As far as how many times to eat a day, well, I think people should eat as many times as it takes to get the amount of calories and protein in, as well as keep them feeling well.  For me, that means eating about six times a day.  If three times a day works for you, then that's what you should do.  But the important thing, in my opinion, is how much you get overall, not how many meals it takes you to get it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LJ1972
on 12/8/11 9:56 am - FL
What kind of protein shake are you using?  The highest calories in any of mine is 190, so even if you are at 800 calories a day you can have one and keep it below 1000. 
 While you are struggling with protein I would say use the shake as a replacement - you can count the milk / water towards your fluid intake as well.
TysCandi
on 12/8/11 9:59 am
About time fill and go protein shakes are 125 calories before you pu****er/milk in them and they provide 31 grams of protein..

http://www.shopabouttime.com/Fill_Shake_and_Go_s/26.htm

I find that they are quick easy and convenient especially if you are on the go..

HW: 326  SW: 312  GW:140

BeautifulCajun
on 12/9/11 3:33 am - Evangeline , LA
I like this thread!

Hillery82211
on 12/9/11 4:10 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I use my protein coffee im place of breakfast because I'm just not a breakfast person (never really have been).  So lately i've been drinking two cups of protein coffee with milk for breakfast which is only 335 calories and 50g of protein.  By the time I add in lunch, a snack, and dinner, I'm hitting about 115-130 grams of protein and about 800-900 calories.  I burn about 300-500 calories each workout so my net calories are always in the "starvation" range.  I could prob add in an additional snack without any problems (as far as eatting it) but I find I can't find enough time in the day to add the extra snack.
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views