multi & Calcium or multi & iron

plum21
on 12/9/11 9:24 pm - Miami, FL
 I may be doing this wrong. Is it calcium or iron that we're supposed to NOT take with the multi-vitamin.
Just when I think I know this stuff....

NHPOD9
on 12/9/11 9:39 pm
 Calcium and iron shouldn't be taken together.  If your multi has iron, then delay taking the calcium supplement.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Dave Chambers
on 12/10/11 12:09 am - Mira Loma, CA

I would never recommend you rely on any multi for needed iron or calcium.  You need a specific calcium citrate, around 1500mg per day--no other form of calcium.  If you need to take iron, buy an iron supplement.  You should never take your calcium citrate and iron together--take them at least 2 hours apart.  Take a sublingual B12 for proper absorption.  Take a dry D3. Most patients are low on vitamin D. You need to take a dry D3 for optimum absoprtion, not the standard D2.  D levels should be 80-90 per month.  I would not take anything lower than 10K IU daily until you get some lab results.  Many post ops, including me,  take the 50K IU dry D3 multiple times per week. If you chose this route, start out at 3 per week, taking one every other day.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 12/10/11 12:09 am - OH
You can take either one with your multi.

If your multi has iron in it, though, and you take your calcium with it, you will not absorb the iron in the multi.  You will absorb the calcium and everything else, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

plum21
on 12/10/11 12:34 am - Miami, FL
 Thanks, everyone.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 206 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 478 views