Anyone go from sleeve to RNY???

M. Walker
on 12/13/11 12:03 am
DS on 02/12/13
Iam contemplating having the RNY now. I have stalled for 3 months at 106 pounds lost. Can't get past that mark. Need to loose another 100 pounds. Getting very frustrated.

laura_vermont
on 12/13/11 12:51 am
ladytazz was revised from DS to RNY - so she might be around. 

I would guess that the "normal" revision from a sleeve would be a DS - but, you should talk to your surgeon.  Happy to have you join us here if you decide to revise to RNY though!

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Frances S.
on 12/13/11 1:15 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 My surgeon once mentioned in a pre-op info session that the sleeve used to be used primarily as a stepping stone surgery for larger patients to lose weight to be converted to an RNY.  Since the sleeve was a faster surgery the larger patient didn't have to be under anesthesia as long.  Then once they lost enough to be able to under-go RNY  they could be converted.

Hope this helps.
Ladytazz
on 12/13/11 3:11 am
I did have a sleeve as part of my first WLS.  The problem was that my surgeon made it too large, probably to compensate for the malabsorption.  All that did was lead to problems.  I never felt any restriction and managed to regain 100 lbs in spite of the malabsorption.
I had my revision to reduce the malabsorption due to issues I was having and at the time my surgeon suggested making my sleeve into a pouch.  I considered having the sleeve made smaller but to tell you the truth I didn't trust the sleeve at that point and I wanted as much restriction as possible.  For me having restriction has worked out well, at least to this point.
Have you looked into having a DS?  That seems the logical next step since you already have part of it.  With that much weight to lose and to continue to maintain the loss the DS has a much better tract record then the RNY.  Having your sleeve revised to a pouch with give you more restriction but the malabsorption of the RNY is a lot less then the DS and doesn't last very long, about 2 to 3 years, while with the DS the malabsorption is much greater and is pretty much permanent.  Of course you have to be very diligent with supplements, as you would with any malabsorptive procedure, and you need to have your labs checked regularly to stay healthy.
Your surgeon probably doesn't do the DS and therefore won't recommend it.  You may want to check around and see if there are any surgeons near you that do the DS and talk to them.  The people who have had the DS seem very happy with it for the most part.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

M. Walker
on 12/13/11 5:39 am
DS on 02/12/13
Thanks to all *****sponded. I will definitely do more research and look into DS doctors. Thanks again.

twellington1
on 12/13/11 6:41 am - NH
I went from a sleeve to RYN but it was because my sleeve never opened up after surgery and twisted.  So not sure I can be too helpful. Good luck

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 469 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 383 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 328 views