3 months out and insatiable

Annette O.
on 12/18/11 4:19 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
I had surgery 9/19/11 and in the begining I knew that the nerves had been cut and I'd feel neither hungry or full. The past 10 days or so, I feel like no matter what I eat or drink I am not satisfied. I suppose it's head hunger because I'm not feeling "hunger pains". I'm not sure what is bringing this on Hoildays perhaps? I need some will power. I'd also like to know
how long after surgery did you have stomach sensation?
Annette O
Jess6580
on 12/18/11 5:44 am - Sioux Falls, SD
I am a little over 2 weeks out and have sensation.  I probably got it back at about a week out and I get real physical  hunger pains.  Not very often, but if I end up having like an early lunch and a late supper, my stomach definitely reminds me that it's well past time to eat.  I was one of the unlucky ones who never really lost the hunger.  The good news for me anyhow is that it takes very little food to make the hunger go away...

I'm sorry you are having struggles right now, you'll be in my thoughts.  I wish I had advice or ideas...but being so new, I just don't.  Keep your chin up!
  HW: 345  SW:329   CW: 226   *16lbs lost pre-op  103 post op so far!*          
littlewitch1973
on 12/18/11 6:04 am - NY
 I had surgery 9/21/11, and am just starting to feel hungry again too.... I was really hoping it would last longer than this, lol. I have been drinking more lately to try and combat the hunger. The good news is that I can now feel full again. I was struggling with not being able to feel full, and overeating. Now, I feel hunger and fullness. 

lilbear412
on 12/18/11 6:11 am - MN
 I had surgery the end of August...about 3 months out i did the same thing..started feeling horrible hunger.  I either figured out how to fix that, or how to live with it or its something with your nerves your body needs to go through because its not so bad now.  I do feel hunger but most of the time its just really in between meals if i am not drinking my fluids i get this hallow hunger like feeling.  I eat about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of food at eat meal now (last night i ate a full 6 oz steak)..and it surprises me how long i feel satisfied after i eat.  I hope that lasts forever.  
Anyways, just drink and drink between meals and if your hungry make sure what you eat is a good protein source.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

NorCalAl
on 12/18/11 6:29 am
I was hungry the very next day. The surgeon's office had said it would be months, as many as six, before I would feel hunger. It's never really abated since then. That said, I do try to just ignore it. When I can't, I choose something that will satisfy, but fill me up, too. Sometimes one of those protein bars works wonders. Sometimes a few rice or bean chips.

I get now that my situation will mean I'm pretty much always hungry. I can live with it. It sucks, given all the times they told me how I'd have to force myself because I wouldn't be hungry. And that feeling, combined with a very sedentary lifestyle and not having others around most of the day, is what led me to being so big in the first place.

The protein bars and all do help a lot and sometimes they get rid of the hunger for hours. I do notice that "heavier" or denser foods help.

BugdocMom
on 12/18/11 1:03 pm - CA
Have you been eating more carbs? Especially simple carbs like crackers? I hear that really causes some folks to have major cravings. Crackers (and baked lays potato chips) give me an awful tummy ache, but I still can't keep from thinking about them and grabbing a handful here and there if they are around. I have to eliminate them completely from my diet. And I have heard that, for others, eating those and other simple carbs just ramps up the appetite in general, making them hungray all day.
Jane N.
on 12/18/11 1:14 pm - Round Rock, TX
I was hungry the day after surgery.  It never went away for me.  Shaking up your diet might help some.  Get some fresh vegetables that have a lot of color and add those to a dense protein.  Stick to stuff like chicken instead of things like cottage cheese if you can.  It'll stay with you longer and help with the hunger.  Plan to eat on a set schedule about every 3 hours or so.  That'll keep you from being over hungry and making not so great food choices too.

Annette O.
on 12/18/11 11:41 pm - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
I think this might help (oops had my bold key on) I've been eating the same thing everyday at every meal. Mostly becaue it's easy. Maybe if I switch it up  I'll feel more satisfied.
thanks for all the suggestions
Annette O
exohexoh
on 12/18/11 1:27 pm - West Chester, PA
 i'm about 15 months out and still don't feel hunger until it's been waaaaay too long since i ate and i feel nauseous until i eat something

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 545 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 528 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 417 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 131 views
Recent Topics