Tell me about Quinoa...

Kristi D.
on 12/18/11 11:01 am - Buffalo, NY
What exactly is it?  What does it taste like?  How much protein does it have?  And most importantly, where in the grocery store would I find it?  I have heard a lot about it on this site and I have been trying a lot of new things lately, so any info you can ive me is appreciated.

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/11 12:04 pm - Phoenix, AZ
 We had it in our pre-op class it was soo good I went out an purchased some! It's a grain  5 g of protein per 1/4 cup uncooked! If you go to my blog under preop class I have a pictures of it. 
Bettisima
on 12/18/11 12:21 pm
Quite typically it's located in the health food isle or where the gluten free foods are. I think it has a nutty flavor and my family loves it. It's good as a side, or in soup. I make stir fries with it.

I actually buy mine at Costco, because I have a couple of teenagers who eat it like crazy. You can also find it in most health foods bulk area.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 12/18/11 8:10 pm
It is a whole grain. It is similar to rice.  It is in the bulk area of my store and also the organic section.  Lately I have seen it in with the boxed rice area too.  As it gains in popularity it will be easier to find.  i have eaten it but never cooked it.  I do know that you have to rinse it before cooking it if you buy it in bulk.  Not sure if it is rinsed first if you buy boxed.

Winnie

grmadeb01
on 12/18/11 10:31 pm - FL
i was told you had to rinse it also, even if it was boxed, just in case they did not rinse it as some do not know to rinse it....i have bought some, just have not used it yet..but it is suppose to be very high in protein, i do have some quinoa flour i have been sneaking into some of my receipes..i just need to figure out how to make my own flour...i got my bulk quinoa at the local health food store, it was pretty cheap that way...now to figure out how to use it...keep us posted if you make anything....i have been going to a site, i tried to post the link, but could not drag and drop so i will try and type it here...
check out...www.cookingquinoa.net/catagories/quinoa-receipes
it has alot about quinoa
have a great day
'debby
Mary B.
on 12/19/11 1:26 am - Southern, MD
Quinoa is awesome!! It is the only whole grain that is also a complete protein!

You cook it the same way as rice. 1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid. it has a little bite to it, kinda like brown rice and it has a slightly nuttier flavor. You can basically do anything with quinoa as you would with rice.

Last time I made it, once it was cooked, I added a little oil/vinegar Italian dressing, chopped roma tomatoes, fresh basil and a good parmesan cheese. I'd serve that with a grilled chicken breast.

You dont have to rinse all quinoa. Pretty much what you find in your local grocery store shouldnt have to be rinsed, but check the box.

I use this Ancient Harvest brand. It would either be near the pasta or rice section of your store.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

RainDiva
on 12/19/11 2:29 am
I make mine with salmon and aspargus it is so so good. Trader Joe's carrys it as well

teachermarsha
on 12/19/11 7:58 am
My local super walmart has it in the boxes.  I may go back and get some.  i looked at it but I didn't buy any and cook it yet.  Thanks for ideas.

Kristi D.
on 12/19/11 11:09 am - Buffalo, NY
Thanks everyone!  I think I am definately going to grab some at the grocery store tomorrow and gve it a try.  I will let you know how it goes...        :)

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?