Moments of WHY did I do this? I assumed from talking to friends 
And reading all info that is was going to be hard,but my goodness a bad
Day is bloody horrible pain,dr wants me on a phase 4 but am having a
Hard time with a lot of the foods,soup and broth are my friends right now
And peaches go down well!!
Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated

Bettisima
on 12/20/11 11:24 am
Congrats on your surgery. Many people, if not everyone has "buyers remorse". The first 6-8 weeks are the hardest. We also have a lot of stored hormones being released in the fat we are losing, and hello emotional roller coaster.

As far as foods. Take it easy, try one new food a day, while keeping to the ones you know will go down well. Maybe puree a little extra chicken to go in your cream soups. Some people struggle wupith foods early, and it's not the end of the world if you keep drinking protein shakes to ensure you get in the minimum protein.

Your surgeon is making available different food choices, but rarely will they force you to change if you aren't tolerating food well. Ut if you aren't keeping food down you need to let them know. Strictures develop and can keep you from getting the nutrition you need.

What foods exactly are part of your surgeons stage 4?
CV-22WIFEY
on 12/20/11 11:40 am - mary esther, FL
On December 20, 2011 at 7:24 PM Pacific Time, Bettisima wrote:
Congrats on your surgery. Many people, if not everyone has "buyers remorse". The first 6-8 weeks are the hardest. We also have a lot of stored hormones being released in the fat we are losing, and hello emotional roller coaster.

As far as foods. Take it easy, try one new food a day, while keeping to the ones you know will go down well. Maybe puree a little extra chicken to go in your cream soups. Some people struggle wupith foods early, and it's not the end of the world if you keep drinking protein shakes to ensure you get in the minimum protein.

Your surgeon is making available different food choices, but rarely will they force you to change if you aren't tolerating food well. Ut if you aren't keeping food down you need to let them know. Strictures develop and can keep you from getting the nutrition you need.

What foods exactly are part of your surgeons stage 4?
 Thank you so much that makes me feel.better,
My phase 4 are foods like cream of wheat,oatmeal,soups,turkey,fish,chicken,
Some fruits and veg,cheese,eggs,ground lean meats,low fiber cereals,

How do you know if you have a stricture? 
I among  vomiting a lot it usually goes straight thru to the. Bottom end!!
Have only  omitted twice,but had heavy tight chest most days!
Thank again for tips! 
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 5:16 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I found I had the "tight chest" feeling when I ate a refined carb such as bread, pasta, rice, or potatoes, or if I ate too quickly and didn't chew well enough.

It's really important to eat slowly and chewchewchew!!

Strictures will usually manifest themselves by vomiting after food, or if it is really bad, vomiting even after drinking water.  They are easily taken care of, so if you are having severe symptoms don't hesitate to talk to your doctor.  It's usually a very simple procedure.

Don't rush on foods, but don't be afraid to try a new one, either.  If a food doesn't agree with you this week, it probably will be OK in a week.  (Or , sadly, vice versa!)

It's a constant learning experience.

Best wishes,

Bettisima
on 12/20/11 10:32 pm
You are doing great, and just keep reminding yourself of that!

My surgeons office discribes a stricture as 'going backwards' in what you are able to tolerate via food or drink. So if you start with oatmeal, or chicken do well for a couple of days or a week, and then it feels like it gets stuck, it might be time to call your surgeons office and ask. Be very aware of your fluid and protein intake. As Lynn said, strictures are easy to correct. So dont worry about them, just be very aware of your body and how it reacts/feels after you eat.

Every surgeons meal plans are different, and you will get a lot of different feedback on that. Example, oatmeal was never on my plan. From the day after surgery it was 90% protein, 10% carbs. At 6 weeks it changed to 75% protein and 25% carbs. That is by volume, so a 4 ounce meal, is 3 ounces of protein, and 1 ounce of fruit or veg.

Be kind to yourself, and remember you will be successful at this.
littleskie
on 12/20/11 11:35 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I'd stay away from peaches tho. Too many carbs.

I'd let your surgeon know how you feel about advancing your diet and ask if you can take it a bit slower. Tell him what you are eating and how the new food makes you feel.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

takqia1
on 12/20/11 12:21 pm
I was and still at times emotional not yet 12 weeks. Agree with being careful with peaches a little to much might make you really sick. I cant do peaches at all and I really wanted them. Take your time eating and trying 1 new thing a day is wise. I went to work and tried something new and really wished I hadn't. All new stuff is for my days off now. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Hang in there it's a new you to get use to.
virvin
on 12/20/11 1:15 pm - CO
HI and congrats on being 4 weeks post-op!  I know exactly how you feel.  I am about 6 months out so I really remember what it was like.  As hard as it is, be patient with yourself.  The first 6-8 weeks are definitely the hardest.  There are a lot of changes happening to you during this process and as someone else pointed out, it will wreak havoc on your hormones. 

Something to think about...just because your doctor has advanced your diet, do not feel pressured to eat foods you are not quite ready for.  Just make sure you get in your protein and fluids.  If you try a food one day and it doesn't sit well, wait 3-4 weeks and try it again.  My favorite food before the surgery was peanut butter.  I have 2 jars at home...one for me, and one for my guests that come over.  I'd grab a spoonful from the jar and munch on that for a while.  After surgery, it sat like a rock in my stomach.  I am 6 months out now and can FINALLY eat peanut butter. 

I remember crying the 3rd day after my surgery and was begging my sister (was staying at her house for a few days) to take me back to the hospital and make them undo what they did to me.  Ok, looking back, I'm sure she thought I had lost it...but she was very supportive.  Given all the mind games that went on, I would do this again in a heartbeat.  The only thing I would do different...I would have done it sooner. 

Come back here often and post often.  The people on this site are so supportive and no topic is taboo or too embarrassing to ask.  I wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for these people.  Truly amazing.  Willing to share their ups/downs and wonderful tips and words of encouragements. 

Good luck and if you want an email buddy...set me up and I'd love to "chat" with you.  :)

Lots of hugs!

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

CV-22WIFEY
on 12/20/11 2:57 pm - mary esther, FL
 Thanks so much for the advice and support guys it really
Does help knowing you are not alone!! So far I have lost 39 pounds 
Since the surgery I did not think it would be that much in such a short time
But I guess the bigger you are the more you have 
To loose!! 
Will keep you posted!! 
shellbell75
on 12/20/11 10:14 pm

When I was approved to advanced I took my sweet time. My pouch @ 6 months out is still fickle. Just take your time advancing and go at your own pace.

**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views