leg cramps anyone?

NANCY C.
on 12/20/11 1:39 pm - OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
 Just wondering if anyone has experienced severe leg cramps?  Today is 6 weeks since surgrey for me and I have the worst leg cramps ever.  I worked all day and had to act as hostess for our company Team party tonigh.  I have been busy all day.  Hardest part was making the snacky things knowing I could not eat any.  I made brownies (sugar free) a veggie tray with low fat dip, chocolate dipped pretzels, rum balls, and a cheese roll with crackers.  we ordered pizza for the main food. Idrank a protein shake just before the party and sipped on my water.  Once every one left I quickly cleaned up and headed to bed.  Now I have the worst leg cramps ever.  I have taken tylenol, and just now I took my liquid pain killer.  Still no relief.  I can't even llie down in bed they hurt so bad.

Any suggestions out there?

HW  313   SW  285   Goal 155

cabin111
on 12/20/11 2:20 pm
Just my thoughts...add some potassium and sodium to your diet.  Some potassium rich foods; kidney bean, spinach (cook with salt), yogurt, broccoli, bananas (if you can handle the sugar...very small amount), peas.  Just add a small amount of salt to the vegetables...electrolytes.
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 5:06 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I used to get those middle-of-the-night horrors, too.  I found that taking some calcium citrate, eating a banana, and drinking about 8 oz of water usually made them go away. 

I wasn't keeping up with my calcium citrate and water, which was a big part of the problem, and the potassium in bananas is also a good cramps preventer.  I've found that putting magnesium citrate in my diet, along with the calcium, etc., has been a big help.

I hope by the time you read this that yours have gone, too.

Best wishes,
dasie
on 12/20/11 8:52 pm
Thanks for the info...I have them too in the middle of the night.  Sometimes they will not ease for quite a few minutes no matter how much pressure, walking, rubbing or stretching I do.  I have already posted about my need to up my calcium.  I also notice I get them many times on days I've walked 3 or 66 miles.  I don't get them while walking but while sleeping.  Upping my water should help too.

cajungirl
on 12/20/11 8:56 pm
Dasie, I too experience cramps at night only.  Last night was awful, although I KNOW much of mine is caused by not enough liquids magnesium has helped some to alleviate some of the nightly cramps.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

dasie
on 12/20/11 9:17 pm
Thank you...I will be sure to take my magnesium too.

hockeymom8016
on 12/20/11 9:20 pm - NJ
I used to get them during the night.  I tried a banana and was drinking plenty of water and that did not help.  I read here about drinking some tonic water with quinnine and that has made a world of difference.  I drink a little before I go to bed and the cramps have disappeared.

dasie
on 12/20/11 9:27 pm
Where do you get that?  I've not heard of it.

hockeymom8016
on 12/20/11 9:32 pm - NJ
The grocery store in the soda aisle. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 8:38 pm
 I have dealt with leg cramps for years and the doctors say it is low potassium. Usually a banana a day will help. 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics