Just checking in...

virvin
on 12/27/11 11:25 pm - CO
Hey, everyone.  I hope this finds you well and taking care of yourself. 

I haven't updated in a while, so since I'm home recovering from knee surgery yesterday, I thought I would get on and see what everyone is up to.

Here are my udates:
1.  3 weeks prior to my surgery I weighed 325.  I know weigh 217!
2.  I have gone from a size 32 pants to a size 16.
3.  I am off all my meds except for the ones for depression and asthma.
4.  I can walk 3 miles at a time again.
5.  I started Zumba classes and even thought I'm so uncoordinated it' sad...I still go.
6.  I did a 3 hour Zumba marathon to help raise money for CASA.
7.  I received snowshoes from Christmas so as soon as my knee is healed from surgery (had it yesterday), I am going to learn how to snowshoe.

I have my medical staff, my family, my friends, and the support of everyone on this website to thank.  The support has been tremendous.  I know the weightloss is slowing down, but I'm not discouraged.  Just means I have to give a lil more work to my workouts.

I do have a question for you who are post-op.  I still have no appetite and food has lost its allure.  Is this normal?  I mean, before my surgery I could be eating one meal and already planning my next.  Now I have to remind myself to eat and even then, I have to make myself eat.  It blows my mind that I can go from one extreme to the next, but it is nice not having such a powerful attraction to food any more.

Thanks!

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

laura_vermont
on 12/27/11 11:50 pm
Congrats on all you have accomplished in such a short time!  You've done amazing!

As for appetite..... mine came back.  Not as bad as pre-op, but it's back.  I'm learning to deal with cravings and distinguishing what my body needs vs. what I want.  It's why I still visit here.

Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/11 12:08 am - Santa Cruz, CA
How fun--snowshoeing!! That's a great way to deal with snow!

The lack of hunger is normal, and yes, it's a good thing. I have found that not having the constant gnawing of appetite is a good thing even now.

Of course, at 6.5 years post-op I'm suddenly finding that my internal organs are now beginning to tune up and make funny noises. I'd never had this problem before, so it's weird to hear my innards gurgle. This wls journey is a never-ending surprise.

Happy healing!
christinalee
on 12/28/11 12:24 am - At Home in, NH
Vickie,

First off, hope your recovery from knee surgery is rapid and you heal well. As soon as we get some snow here in New Hampshire (that stays around), I am donning my snow shoes and going for a trek! Enjoy yourself!

As for the no appetite question, the other day I was driving home from Christmas shopping and I had a small (emphasis on small) Ah-Ha moment. My whole life, like yours, was centered on food: thinking about it, shopping for it, planning it, drooling for it. Well anyway there I am in my car listening to the gazillionth Christmas carol, and I realized that food has really taken a back seat in my life. I mean I still shop for it and plan for it, but the "desire" to eat and satiate my appetite is quelled. I can't explain it really well (hence the "small" Ah-Ha moment), but it's like food just isn't "sponge-worthy" any longer (sorry for the Elaine from Seinfeld reference). I don't know if the desire for eating will return at some later point, but I tell you what, I'm enjoying the new found detachment I have from food/eating, etc.

Congrats on your weight loss, heal quickly, enjoy the snow shoeing. The silence of walking in the snow in peaceful forests is FANTASTIC!

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?