What do I need to do? (9 mos out, struggling)

gochristy1971
on 12/27/11 1:55 am - CA
I am 9 months (almost) out from surgery.  I had lost 85 pounds, but have been playing with the same 6 pounds since September.

Granted, I am not doing all the things I should be doing.  I do get my vitamins, but I do not consistently get in my water and protein.  I eat more carbs than I should.

Is it too late?  Because of the changed metabolism, am I basically just scr@wed now?  or can I still get myself back on track to lose more weight?

Just looking for some honest kicks in the pants or whatever....I just need to know I'm not doomed to regain my weight, if I get myself back in gear right now!
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
rayjack12
on 12/27/11 2:06 am
I hit a slump about that time.  I think I lost about 3 lbs in my 9th month.  That was when I realized I could eat more carbs with few negative side effects.  That's when I started logging my calories every day on My Fitness Pal.  That helped A LOT!  I also got back on track with protein shakes, etc.  Once I started getting protein back in me, and "de-carbed" I felt much better physically.  I also started dropping weight again.  I got down to goal and have gone 15 lbs over that.  I just went past my year mark.

You CAN still do this!
dasie
on 12/27/11 2:17 am
Good for you....15 past goal is a really  big accomplishment.

dasie
on 12/27/11 2:15 am
You can absolutely get back on track!  You know what to do.  Almost more than anything, of course except eating large volumes of the wrong food, when I do not get in my necessary water intake, it caused me problems.  I can bounce up, start pushing my water intake...really pushing it, and it seems the pounds come off so, so much more easily.  At nine months, you are not through losing.  It might, however, require more effort.  Start the New Year off with renewed purpose.  You can do this.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/27/11 2:21 am - OH
Around 9 months out is a VERY common time for a stall.  You are losing some of your malabsorption, and you weigh significantly less (which means it takes fewer calories just to power your smaller body and therefore a smaller daily calorie deficit... and therefore longer to lose a pound).

It is NEVER too late to drop your carbs back down and increase your protein.  That, in fact, is about the only way you are going to be ale to MAINTAIN your loss once you are done losing whe n the scale starts creeping up.

Do what you know you SHOULD be doing.  If you don't get back on track now, not only are you unlikely to lose much more weight, but you are setting yourself up for long-term failure!  You can do this... Just commit to doing it and DO it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cajungirl
on 12/27/11 2:23 am
No you aren't screwed.  Time to refocus, change your mindset and work hard to achieve whatever you want.  Only you can make it happen, we can support you through the difficult times just know that if you want it, it's within your reach.

Follow the rules and log your intake....you have to believe you deserve this and work toward achieving it!

Good luck!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

gochristy1971
on 12/27/11 2:24 am - CA
That's exactly what I needed to know; that I'm not just screwed now...if I know I can still do this, I know I WILL do it...I was so scared that I was "done"...because of my poor choices...

But, now that I know it's still possible, I WILL do it!

Thank you!
Christy
hedrider
on 12/27/11 4:28 am - Midlothian, TX
How would you be screwed?

If someone who has not had WLS can change their diet, add exercise and lose weight then why can't we?  Just because we chose to use a tool to jump start everying doesn't mean we have to end up where ever it takes us.  You already identified some areas you can change.  A little too many carbs and not enough water.  Start there and see what happens.

Remember, surgery is a tool.  You can use it to get where ever you want to be if you add a little more hard work on top of it too.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

gochristy1971
on 12/27/11 4:34 am - CA
The reason I asked if I would be screwed is, because it's NOT the same as someone who has not had surgery.  Because of the metabolism being permanently altered due to low calorie consumption, I didn't know if the fact that I had already been gaining/losing the same few pounds, opposed to continuing to lose...if I had screwed myself out of being able to fix it now.  I thought my question made sense???  maybe not.

Bottom line, to me, is, without surgery 3500 calories is a pound.  That's not exactly the same with post-ops, because our metabolism is changed...
Christy
Heather0115
on 12/27/11 4:55 am - CA
Hi Christy,
My surgeon tole me that I had 18 months post-op to reset my metabolism. So I think you are OK. Based on your post, you already know the areas where you need to make new choices.

Remember to change your exercise routine every 12 weeks to keep your body burning calories. This is essential!

Good luck.

Heather
Heather in San Diego
HW-255, GW-140 CW-141

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?