VSG'er here...need vitamin help for my RnY SIL

jengo1971
on 12/28/11 12:27 am
Hello everyone.  I "attempted" to use the search engine with very little help.  My SIL had gastric bypass almost three years ago.  At first she followed all the rules.  Now....not so much.  She is smoking again, only eats a couple times a day, drinks regular soda, doesn't count proteins, and doesn't take any vitamins (that's the part that really scares me).  I want to help her but I'm not sure what vitamin regimen she should be taking.  She hasn't had labs done in a long time either.  Would someone be willing to help me?  Thanks so much!

Hugs.........Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
Terrilmk
on 12/28/11 12:54 am - SC
 She needs a good multi vitamin twice a day, she needs 500mg of calcium Citrate plus D3  3 times a day, she needs a minimum of 30 mg iron a day. She needs B12. BUT THAT"S  ONLY UNTIL they check her labs.  Not taking vitamins can cause an RNY patient to have permanent nerve and or brain damage.  Lack of calcium can not only give you brittle bones, it can cause heart arrythmias.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE urge her to see a Dr soon and get labs drawn.  She probably needs a good support group or therapist to help her deal with the issues causing her non-compliance. Poet Kelly is the real vitamin expert here. Maybe she can jump in.  But if my surgeon stressed anything it was vitamins are NOT optional and you have to follow up for levels.
 HW 240 SW 224 CW 167          
jengo1971
on 12/28/11 1:14 am

Thank you, Terrilmk.  I am so worried about her non-compliance.  However, "you can lead a horse to water..."  All I can do is try.

Hugs....Jennifer

poet_kelly
on 12/28/11 12:56 am - OH
According to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, she should be taking two multivitamins a day (adult vitamins with 100% of the RDA of most things), 500 mg calcium CITRATE (not carbonate) three or four times a day, B12 (sublingual, nasal spray or shots) and iron every day.  She almost certainly also needs D3 and most likely other things if she has not been taking any vitamins.  What she needs to do is go get labs done to see what she needs but she can start a multi, calcium citrate, B12 and iron right away.

But why hasn't she been taking vitamins and getting labs done?  Does she want help?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jengo1971
on 12/28/11 1:24 am
Thank you, Kelly.  I will pass on this info to her and pray she listens.  She has been in a depressive state for the past two years.  Her husband (my brother) has serious health problems which developed about a year after her surgery.  They are struggling financially and could be evicted from their home any day now.  She turned to alcohol at first.  I have attempted to talk to her in the past about non-compliance but she says I'm just lecturing her.  When one "feels" ok I don't think they understand the full ramification of NOT taking supplements after wls.  Until of course, their labs are in the toilet and health issue ARE apparent.  I just want to help her.

Hugs.....Jennifer

poet_kelly
on 12/28/11 1:27 am - OH
Lack of vitamins could be contributing to her depression.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views