Eighteen months out and not one complaint

MastoDon
on 12/31/11 5:03 am - Los Gatos, CA
I had my RNY in late June, 2010.  I have passed the year-and-a-half milestone recently.  For those wondering whether WLS is the right choice, or those who are on the mend from recent surgery, let me share my experience.

I spent two nights in the hospital after the RNY.  It hurt to move for a while, but I got over that in a hurry.  Three days after getting home, I was mowing the lawn.  For what it's worth, my suggestion is to get back in the saddle as soon as you can... the pain subsides faster if you have a goal or two to work on during recuperation.

I was 64 when I had the surgery, so I was already retired from work.  It's a good thing, too, because I don't think I would have been able to go back to work in much less than two or three weeks after my surgery.  I have read about folks who plan to go back right away, but I don't know how successful they are at putting in a full day's work.  You'll need a pretty easy job or a tolerant boss if you plan to go back quickly.

I think it's natural to have doubts, along the lines of "Why did I let them do this to me?" immediately following the surgery.  Those pass.  It's also natural to have slow periods of weight loss (or flat spots), hair loss, bad breath, lack of energy, questions about vitamins and supplements, periods of constipation, and other ancillary symptoms.  Don't sweat those: they all pass.  Not much will happen in a flash, but one morning you'll wake up and realize that you feel fantastic.  That took me about four months.

Overall, I've lost about 130 pounds.  (Actually, in the 45 years prior to my surgery, I probably lost over 1,000 pounds.  But this time, the loss is permanent.)  I went from wearing XXXL clothes to Medium.  Size 48 pants to size 32.  I've stayed within a pound or two of 180 pounds now for about six months.

I also lost:  my sleep apnea, my Type II diabetes, my high blood pressure, my bad cholesterol numbers, and my bad back and perpetually sore knees.  The only Rx meds I take these days are for prostate issues.  I have surprised myself by not once needing to take any NSAIDs since surgery, and only one or two doses of Tylenol.

I went elk hunting in Montana last October, and typically walked seven or eight miles each day.  Younger guys couldn't keep up with me.  Believe me: THAT is a good feeling!

I think I have successfully made the transition from "living to eat" to "eating to live".  I still like food and still cook, but I haven't had a coke or a fast food meal or a potato chip in twenty months.  Those things no longer play a role in my food choices.  I continue to have a protein shake every morning, almost always with a banana or other fruit blended in.  I continue to have a protein bar for lunch every day.  Dinners are somewhat more varied: always some dense protein like fish, chicken, steak or pork, plus a little starch (rice, pasta, potato) in moderation, and a veggie.  I'll have an after-dinner dessert on most days, consisting of a yogurt concoction or some popcorn.

I drink alcohol, too.  Some wine, or a bourbon, or a beer.  Most days.

I was happy to discover, about three weeks out from surgery, that I could tolerate whole pills.  So I've saved myself considerable money by taking Costco-bought calcium and vitamin supplements and not having the issues (bad taste or mouth feel) of chewables or liquids.  My periodic blood tests seem to show that whatever I've been doing is working.

The surgery was not a magic bullet.  I still have to mindful about what I eat, and how much.  That will probably never change.  But the success I've had is certainly attributable to the size of my new stomach and the ease with which I CAN eat less.  I can reasonable be sure that my life will be seven or eight years longer now than it would have been without the surgery.  And those years will present me with a quality or life that I could have never enjoyed as a 310-pound old man.

So, good luck to all of you who are on the fence or on the mend.  Trust in yourself, be willing to make the changes necessary to allow your surgery to work, and become a conscious participant in your own well-being.  You will not regret the changes that take place.

And, Happy New Year, too.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

oxfordcat
on 12/31/11 5:09 am - NJ
Congratulation.  I needed to read a post like that.  I was 6 weeks out and feeling fantastic.  then, i had my ivc filter removed and it went badly. 

Still trying to recuperate and feeling very down.  This was a bit of a pick me up.  

Thanks.

Happy New Year
"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
dkasten
on 12/31/11 5:32 am - SD
Thank you so much for posting your "journey" ! I had surgery on the 12th, am 63 yrs old and I think it's been going pretty good so far. I do get tired though and I agree about going back to work full time 2-3 wks out from surgery. I'm glad I'm retired too! Your post gave me hope that I CAN do this! There are days that the "head" hunger gets me down but I know that I can over come it, given time. You are an inspiration to us newbies and again , thank you for telling your story!
birthdaygirl
on 12/31/11 5:38 am - Lithonia, GA
On December 31, 2011 at 1:03 PM Pacific Time, MastoDon wrote:
I had my RNY in late June, 2010.  I have passed the year-and-a-half milestone recently.  For those wondering whether WLS is the right choice, or those who are on the mend from recent surgery, let me share my experience.

I spent two nights in the hospital after the RNY.  It hurt to move for a while, but I got over that in a hurry.  Three days after getting home, I was mowing the lawn.  For what it's worth, my suggestion is to get back in the saddle as soon as you can... the pain subsides faster if you have a goal or two to work on during recuperation.

I was 64 when I had the surgery, so I was already retired from work.  It's a good thing, too, because I don't think I would have been able to go back to work in much less than two or three weeks after my surgery.  I have read about folks who plan to go back right away, but I don't know how successful they are at putting in a full day's work.  You'll need a pretty easy job or a tolerant boss if you plan to go back quickly.

I think it's natural to have doubts, along the lines of "Why did I let them do this to me?" immediately following the surgery.  Those pass.  It's also natural to have slow periods of weight loss (or flat spots), hair loss, bad breath, lack of energy, questions about vitamins and supplements, periods of constipation, and other ancillary symptoms.  Don't sweat those: they all pass.  Not much will happen in a flash, but one morning you'll wake up and realize that you feel fantastic.  That took me about four months.

Overall, I've lost about 130 pounds.  (Actually, in the 45 years prior to my surgery, I probably lost over 1,000 pounds.  But this time, the loss is permanent.)  I went from wearing XXXL clothes to Medium.  Size 48 pants to size 32.  I've stayed within a pound or two of 180 pounds now for about six months.

I also lost:  my sleep apnea, my Type II diabetes, my high blood pressure, my bad cholesterol numbers, and my bad back and perpetually sore knees.  The only Rx meds I take these days are for prostate issues.  I have surprised myself by not once needing to take any NSAIDs since surgery, and only one or two doses of Tylenol.

I went elk hunting in Montana last October, and typically walked seven or eight miles each day.  Younger guys couldn't keep up with me.  Believe me: THAT is a good feeling!

I think I have successfully made the transition from "living to eat" to "eating to live".  I still like food and still cook, but I haven't had a coke or a fast food meal or a potato chip in twenty months.  Those things no longer play a role in my food choices.  I continue to have a protein shake every morning, almost always with a banana or other fruit blended in.  I continue to have a protein bar for lunch every day.  Dinners are somewhat more varied: always some dense protein like fish, chicken, steak or pork, plus a little starch (rice, pasta, potato) in moderation, and a veggie.  I'll have an after-dinner dessert on most days, consisting of a yogurt concoction or some popcorn.

I drink alcohol, too.  Some wine, or a bourbon, or a beer.  Most days.

I was happy to discover, about three weeks out from surgery, that I could tolerate whole pills.  So I've saved myself considerable money by taking Costco-bought calcium and vitamin supplements and not having the issues (bad taste or mouth feel) of chewables or liquids.  My periodic blood tests seem to show that whatever I've been doing is working.

The surgery was not a magic bullet.  I still have to mindful about what I eat, and how much.  That will probably never change.  But the success I've had is certainly attributable to the size of my new stomach and the ease with which I CAN eat less.  I can reasonable be sure that my life will be seven or eight years longer now than it would have been without the surgery.  And those years will present me with a quality or life that I could have never enjoyed as a 310-pound old man.

So, good luck to all of you who are on the fence or on the mend.  Trust in yourself, be willing to make the changes necessary to allow your surgery to work, and become a conscious participant in your own well-being.  You will not regret the changes that take place.

And, Happy New Year, too.

Congratulations Don on your success......and thank you for sharing your story.....i am 3 years out and I too have had no complications

However, I have for the last 9 months fell off track and after my abdomnioplasty in March this year, I thought I would be skinny forever....wrooooooong!  I started back eating junk food I admit! and because of my old demons returning  Anxiety and depression....I allowd them to take control

But this is a New Year coming  and I vow to get back on track and lose the weight I regained......30 pounds!

but tell me, I have two questions for you and I know everyone is different?......Do you drink with your meals or abstain 30minutes to an hour afterward before drinking again and my second question is how often do you drink beer and what kind may I ask...Before WLS I loved an ice-cold bottle of bud light, and my mixed drinks on occasion.....I made 40 this year and i am interested in trying red wine.   Any good expensive sweet recommendations?  I am not a regular drinker but the older I get and the older my kids get....nerves baby!

I like beer.....has it caused you any weight gain?   With regular drinks, if I can taste the alcohol I cannot tolerate it which is why I drank flavored martinis and daiquiris...ya know cute drinks!

what do you recommend for a newbie like me to alcohol...My DH can drink any damn thing but he has not had wls......and oh by the way FYI, did you know we can no longer for life take any NSAIDS because it could cause an ulcer in our pouches....just wanted to pass that along...I miss my Ibuprofen so I am a slave to narcotics for any pain and it does not help with inflammation from housework or womanly issues (maybe TMI) sorry!

HW/293....SW/276....PSW/168....CW/148...GW/150  
MastoDon
on 12/31/11 6:17 am - Los Gatos, CA
Hey there, BirthdayGirl.

I guess we're never in a position to sit back and relax in this weight loss thing.  I hope I don't gain 30 pounds back in the next year, but you never know.

As for your other questions:

I have a small (5 ounce) glass of white wine with most dinners.  In fact, I usually use it to wash down my calcium and vitamin supplements at the end of the meal.  Then, after dinner, I often have a second glass.
When I drink beer, it is always a couple of hours prior to a meal.  I used to brew my own beer, and although I haven't done that since before the surgery, when I drink a beer I still want one with some taste.  I really dislike the watery, thin, tasteless crap they call "light".  I enjoy a Henry Adams Boston Lager or similar 12-ounce bottle, and sip it slowly.  I might take me 45 minutes to finish a bottle.
Red wine is a matter of individual taste... some folks just never develop a liking for it.  When I have a red, it'll be a Cabernet sauvignon or a pinot noir.  I have never had what I'd call a sweet red wine that I found enjoyable.  If it's sweet you want, why not just get some grape juice and spike it with vodka?  Come to think of it, not finding it really delicious might be the key to drinking it in moderation.  Could be a good thing as you experiment around, looking for something you like.
I think the weight loss professionals (docs, nuts, etc) recommend that we shun alcohol more because they fear we might develop a "transfer dependence" on it and less because they think the drink itself is bad.  So far, I think, that hasn't been an issue with me.

Since I lost the weight, I do find that it takes a lot less alcohol to get a buzz.  As a consequence, I make sure that I won't be having to drive a car for the rest of the day whenever I have a drink.

I got the same information about avoiding NSAIDs as you.  Luckily, I have been virtually pain free since recuperating from the surgery holes and so I haven't had to push the envelope on pain killers.  As I said, I've only needed Tylenol a couple of times.  But I have to secretly wonder whether the prohibition against NSAIDs is really valid for all people.  I know they said not to drink alcohol, and not to drink 30 minutes one side or the other from eating, and not to eat soups or other watery foods, and not the eat processed starches.  Alas, I do all those things and have (so far) not had an adverse reaction.  So, if I have some big time pain in the future, will I take Advil?  Maybe, if Tylenol doesn't work.

For what it's worth, I have fewer issues with inflammatory pain or muscle aches now that I've dropped 130 pounds than I did when I was morbidly obese.

I weigh myself every Monday morning.  If I've gained any weight in the previous week, I cut back on my calories and increase my exercise for the next week.  It usually snaps me back to sub-180, which is where I want to be. 

Good luck.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

birthdaygirl
on 12/31/11 9:15 am - Lithonia, GA
On December 31, 2011 at 2:17 PM Pacific Time, MastoDon wrote:
Hey there, BirthdayGirl.

I guess we're never in a position to sit back and relax in this weight loss thing.  I hope I don't gain 30 pounds back in the next year, but you never know.

As for your other questions:

I have a small (5 ounce) glass of white wine with most dinners.  In fact, I usually use it to wash down my calcium and vitamin supplements at the end of the meal.  Then, after dinner, I often have a second glass.
When I drink beer, it is always a couple of hours prior to a meal.  I used to brew my own beer, and although I haven't done that since before the surgery, when I drink a beer I still want one with some taste.  I really dislike the watery, thin, tasteless crap they call "light".  I enjoy a Henry Adams Boston Lager or similar 12-ounce bottle, and sip it slowly.  I might take me 45 minutes to finish a bottle.
Red wine is a matter of individual taste... some folks just never develop a liking for it.  When I have a red, it'll be a Cabernet sauvignon or a pinot noir.  I have never had what I'd call a sweet red wine that I found enjoyable.  If it's sweet you want, why not just get some grape juice and spike it with vodka?  Come to think of it, not finding it really delicious might be the key to drinking it in moderation.  Could be a good thing as you experiment around, looking for something you like.
I think the weight loss professionals (docs, nuts, etc) recommend that we shun alcohol more because they fear we might develop a "transfer dependence" on it and less because they think the drink itself is bad.  So far, I think, that hasn't been an issue with me.

Since I lost the weight, I do find that it takes a lot less alcohol to get a buzz.  As a consequence, I make sure that I won't be having to drive a car for the rest of the day whenever I have a drink.

I got the same information about avoiding NSAIDs as you.  Luckily, I have been virtually pain free since recuperating from the surgery holes and so I haven't had to push the envelope on pain killers.  As I said, I've only needed Tylenol a couple of times.  But I have to secretly wonder whether the prohibition against NSAIDs is really valid for all people.  I know they said not to drink alcohol, and not to drink 30 minutes one side or the other from eating, and not to eat soups or other watery foods, and not the eat processed starches.  Alas, I do all those things and have (so far) not had an adverse reaction.  So, if I have some big time pain in the future, will I take Advil?  Maybe, if Tylenol doesn't work.

For what it's worth, I have fewer issues with inflammatory pain or muscle aches now that I've dropped 130 pounds than I did when I was morbidly obese.

I weigh myself every Monday morning.  If I've gained any weight in the previous week, I cut back on my calories and increase my exercise for the next week.  It usually snaps me back to sub-180, which is where I want to be. 

Good luck.

Don, you must be a mind reader!....lol.....I hate brown liquor...making your own brewski....you and my DH would be chillin and illin...lol

When I drink which is on rare occasion and yes, you do get more buzzed post wls so 1 drink and I am wasted......I like clear alcohol which for me is white rum, white vodkas and tequila a good one like patron silver

so proud of your progress!.......i think if maybe I was drinking more I may have been too drunk too have snacked 30 pounds back on me

If  you ever need a pain regime stronger than tylenol....my go to is Tramadol....my doc allows me to take 100mg as needed and for achy muscles I keep prescription Flexeril 10mg.....I have a torn rotator cuff in both shoulders so until my next PS procedure and percocet is warranted that is always in my cabinet for pain.

As for wine I have found one I love and I guess it may range in price.....not to knowledgeable about wines but it is called Moscato, the white Moscato...I tried a red one but it was too dry...Maybe I will treat myself to a wine tasting event because I have been told and read that red wine is good for your health

Welch's grape juice and vodka?......yep, I think I might just try that!

Congrats on yor success and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

HW/293....SW/276....PSW/168....CW/148...GW/150  
dori M.
on 12/31/11 5:42 am - MD
 Congratulations, Happy New Year and thanks for this post!!! My journey has just begun im only 10wks out I feel pretty good and reading your post makes me feel like I can continue to do well. You've given me something to look forward too.

plum21
on 12/31/11 7:02 am - Miami, FL
 Good to hear from you, Don. We're on the same time frame and both having easy post-surgery lives.
Bravo and happy new year.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?