Love/Hate

ladylion2001
on 12/31/11 7:13 am - Baltimore, MD

I'm 3 weeks post op and I love the fact that I don't want to eat, but I know I have to eat...hate that part.  Anyone else ever feel this way?

mikjul1
on 12/31/11 7:41 am - bel air, MD
Yes I am almost 4 weeks post op and sometimes it is hard to eat.
ladylion2001
on 12/31/11 7:44 am - Baltimore, MD
I'm STILL here figuring out what I should eat.  LOL
owlisn
on 12/31/11 7:55 am - NC
Sounds like we are all in the same boat.  I loathe food now because I can't really enjoy it.  It is all about the protein, so I can't just relax and eat.  I get busy doing things around the house, working etc.  Next thing I know, I am reminded that I have not had enough protein in the day (I am not used to eating in the mornings).  Then it's a game of what do I eat that is loaded with protein that doesn't taste like crap.

Did you ever think that we would feel this way about food?
Allison

KatReDo
on 12/31/11 9:11 am
I set my alarm on my phone. I am not wanting to eat, but I know that I must. It seems to be working pretty good so far!
DisneyLover
on 12/31/11 10:07 am - WI
early out it helped me to be on a schedule.  I knew what time I had to have X amount of protein in and X amount of fluids.  It helped a ton.  The more protein and fluids I got in the more the weight came off.

Eating does get better.

Sarah

hhogan
on 12/31/11 12:10 pm
Hi new to the group, I haven't had my surgery yet, hopefully in Feb.  Can you give me some ideas of the meals you do eat so I can stock up.  Thanks so much & Happy New Year
BWB
on 1/1/12 8:47 am
 for H HOgan,

You need to get a list from your doctor because everyone is different.  However, I had 2 weeks on full liquids and 2weeks on pureed.  The quantity is so small that I over estimated how much to stock up on and I had soups filling up all the cupbords.  Figure 2 to 3 ounces per meal and see how far that will go.  I did have fun experimenting with combining soup varieties and my own seasonings and fresh herbs.  

hhogan
on 1/2/12 1:26 am
I got a list 1 wk liquid, 4 wks pureed.  I just wanted ideas because I know I won't be able to do pureed meats.  Very nervous won't be able to leave house and wanted to be stocked lol
Keeves
on 1/2/12 4:29 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Wow, I don't think I've seen another thread that was as unanimous as this one! Y'all said almost exactly what I wanted to!

But in response to hhogan's question about stocking up, let me says this: Stock up on variety, but NOT so much on quantity. You have no idea how much your tastes will changes over the first weeks and months. I have a case and a half of protein drinks that will take a LONG time to finish.

Also: my surgeon said that low-fat american cheese and low-fat deli meat is so processed that they count as pureed. Check with yours, because that can add a lot of variety.

I found that I tolerated scrambled eggs very well too. Tuna, cottage cheese, and greek yogurt (no fruit in the beginning!) are also excellent sources of protein. Several posters have recommended Wendy's Low-Fat Chili (but that's not something you can stock up on). For those of you who like Jewish food, check out the jars of Gefilte Fish (especially the Whitefish variety) - I was really surprised how much protein it has, with less fat and prep time than for tuna.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 281 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics