Surgery date approaching....starting to get nervous

hopes42morrow
on 1/1/12 11:37 am - OH
RNY on 01/25/12
Hello everyone. My name is Jan and I will be having RNY on January 25th in Toledo Ohio. I thought I had prepared myself well for this surgery and this new way of life, but now that my surgery date is almost here I am starting to get a bit nervous. I have had quite a few surgeries in the past 5-6 years (5 of them in a year and a half's time) so you would think that it would be old hat by now. The problem is (i think) is that between my husband and I , we have lost 8 family members in the last year, the latest of which was my sister on November 16th. A black cloud seems to be hovering over us lately.  In addition to all that, my husband went in for a "routine" outpatient surgery a few years ago and had problems with the anesthetic and ended up in ICU on a ventilator for a few days! I know that there probably isnt a whole lot that you all can say to me BUT.... I just thought that having some encouraging words from some fellow RNY'ers might help to calm my nerves. Please tell me good news about your surgical experience! I dont expect it to be painless, but tolerable would be nice to hear and without complications :) Unfortunately, I read a few posts on here about some bad post-op experiences and even one persons post about how the doctor had to open them up because of complications so now I am looking for the good stories....... PLEASE SHARE :)

Jan
Donna D.
on 1/1/12 11:51 am - Cockeysville, MD
Hey Jan Happy New Years! I am also sorry to hear about your family losses. I just had my RNY on 12/29/11, I just came home yesterday morning. I did really well ---with in 2 hrs of being on my unit I was up and walking around. I had mines Laperscopic. I have been home walking and sipping. So far so good. Oh my surgeon sends his patients home with a JP drain which is Jackson Pratt drain, this helps drain fluid out from your abdomen to prevent infection. The site on my stomach where yje drain site is at is a lil sore but they said that this is normal. Other than that irritating me I don't even feel like I had surgery, I do get a little tired and drained, and I just take a nap. I was nervous before my surgery too, but I stayed positive, and optomistic and that helped alot. Good luck and I am praying that you do well.

HW:338  SW:316 CW:203 GW:190 MY HT IS 5"11"

hopes42morrow
on 1/2/12 10:56 am - OH
RNY on 01/25/12
Thanks so much for the prayers Donna D.! That is so awesome that you did so well! That is so encouraging. I am trying my best to stay positive. It has just been a tough year but luckily my skin is pretty thick :) I look forward to hearing more about your journey!

Jan
BBall58
on 1/1/12 11:52 am - MD
With the exception of my wife and children having this surgery is the best thing that has happened to me in my life. Yes, it is a lot of hard work but my health is 100%better. I have a more positive outlook on life and no longer embarrassed by how I look. Ultimately it must be your decision. I have absolutely no regrets. Good luck to you

hopes42morrow
on 1/2/12 11:00 am - OH
RNY on 01/25/12
BBall58,
So great to hear that you have no regrets. I dont anticipate having any either. I am really looking forward to my new life. Thanks so much for the encouragement :)

Jan
WhoIWantToBe *.
on 1/1/12 12:08 pm
RNY on 01/10/12
 I am so sorry for the loss of your sister.  I can't imagine how painful that must be.
hopes42morrow
on 1/2/12 11:05 am - OH
RNY on 01/25/12
Thank you so much Barb D. It has been painful but it just is what it is......right? I have to continue to do all that I can to have the best life possible and I believe that having this surgery and starting my new way of life is gonna be one of the best decisions ever!.

Thanks again,
Jan
april89love
on 1/1/12 12:10 pm - NC
I don't think anyone could be totally prepared for the changes that take place with this surgery. I don't regret having it now, but right after surgery I did. The first couple of weeks are the worst, then things get better and better. I have never been able to lose weight and keep it off. This has been a life saver for me. No more bp meds. Hips and knees are thanking me now, and I can play with my grandkids on the floor.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

hopes42morrow
on 1/2/12 11:12 am - OH
RNY on 01/25/12
Hi april89love,
Most of my life I did not have issues with my weight, but that has not been the case since about 2004. I was injured twice on the job and had several serious health diagnosis and everything has gone down hill since then. I have had knee surgery on both knees and have 2 ruptured discs in my back that make it very difficult to exercise.I always did pretty well as long as I could stay active so I am really looking forward to getting this weight off so I can get moving again. I too look forward to being able to play with my grandkids on the floor. I can get down there now, but the problem is always getting back up!!!!

Jan
april89love
on 1/2/12 11:15 am - NC
It's great when you can get down on the floor, not have your legs fall to sleep instantly AND be able to get back up without help! lol  I will be praying for you!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Forum Search Error & 404