Therapy Advice please?

NANCY C.
on 1/3/12 8:39 am - OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
 I need to be in therapy to deal with part of my  feelings since my RNY.  I knew this before the end of the year but my health insurance was changing Jan 1 and I wanted to make sure the therapist I chose was on my insurance.  

How do I choose?  When I look for eating disorders, all I find is Anorexia or Bullimia disorders.  If I choose someone based on depression (which I have gone to therapy for previously) how do I know if they will be able to help me with food issues?

I have gone to my new insurance company's website and naturally there is no listing for providers.  I have to call them for a referal.  This concerns me as to my privacy and what my employer might think.  Why do they make this so difficult?  

I would appreciate any direction you all can give me.  I spent 3 hours today trying to work thru the new insurance website and finally just gave up.  I needed therapy to deal with that frustation too!!

Nancy

HW  313   SW  285   Goal 155

jennifer W.
on 1/3/12 8:47 am
Your surgeons staff should be able to direct you where to go. My surgeon had a "team" of behavioral therapists, nutritionists and nurses. I Would start there you need a behavioral therapist. Good luck.
 HW: 365  SW: 342  CW: 182

Inch by Inch's Life's a Cinch, Yard by Yard, Life's Hard - Dr.
Madden
Barb H.
on 1/3/12 8:55 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
And when you do get a list of names, set up appointments to interview them...assuming your insurance will allow it. Be very upfront with what you need help with and ask what their experience is in helping people with your issues. You are going thru what a lot of what we all do and I really commend you for being so on top of dealing with it. It takes a lot of courage and you are showing how much you have.
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/3/12 8:56 am - OH
The reason that all you find when you specifically look for eating disorders is that those are the two primary ones in the DSM.  Any therapist that deals with either of those will deal with ALL types of disordered eating.

As a counselor myself, I can tell you that most counselors who deal with depression as a specialty are also very accustomed to dealing with food issues because the two frequently go hand in hand.  If you have a history of trauma (many women who are obese do), seek out someone who has specific training in trauma therapy.

Your employer has no right to any information about what medical care you receive.  The only way they would know is if you give them the information.  If you are concerned with someone overhearing you on the phone with the insurance company to get the referral, take your cell phone into the hallway or an empty conference room to make the call... or call from home.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LJ1972
on 1/3/12 8:57 am, edited 1/2/12 8:58 pm - FL
my bariatric center has a psychologist they use. You can also find a mental health counselor
remember, just because you go to one appointment doesn't mean you are committing to that therapist. It can be a trial and error thing to find the right fit - that doesn't mean you or the therapist are "bad" , just is very important you can be comfortable with the person.

Some tips from the 'Net
Ask questions: How long has the therapist been in practice? How many patients have had your problem? What were the results? If you ask questions about them and they get defensive, leave.

Do I feel reasonably OK with this person?
Is the therapist really listening to me? Is he or she asking enough questions? Especially in the first sessions, the therapist should be asking many questions, to become acquainted with you and the issues you are dealing with.
Has the therapist asked what outcome you want from therapy -- how you want your life to be?
Do you feel satisfied with the therapist's resources?

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

poet_kelly
on 1/3/12 9:36 am - OH
Call the insurance company and ask them to give you several names.  Then call them and ask on the phone if they have much experience dealing with food/weight issues.  See what they say.  If you like the answer, make an appointment.  when you go to the appointment, interview them.  Ask more about their experience and how they suggest treating those issues in therapy.  If you like the answers, start seeing them.  If at any point you feel like they aren't a good match for you, start over.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NANCY C.
on 1/3/12 9:45 am - OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
 Thanks all of you.  Good advice and I feel a little less nervous.  I went to a counselor some years ago and just went to the first person my insurance refered me.  I never felt it was a good fit and only went long enough to get through the rough spell of the moment.  I am a bit timid when it comes to "interviewing" someone but realize I need someone I am comfortable with for any benefit.

HW  313   SW  285   Goal 155

poet_kelly
on 1/3/12 11:01 am - OH
I actually take a list of questions with me and start my first appointment with "I have some questions I'd like to ask you."   I ask where they went to school, what kind of degree they have, how long they've been practicing, etc.  I've never had a therapist act like they thought that was odd or didn't like it or anything.  If they reacted badly to being interviewed, though, I would know right then that it was not a good fit.  You can even tell them when you call to make the appointment that you want to interview them!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LJ1972
on 1/3/12 9:53 am - FL
Be sure to be honest with yourself when things get tough in therapy though. I couldn't stand my counselor when I first started seeing him...or so I thought. Actually I was just threatened because he was a man old enough to be my dad and I couldnt' stand him in what I perceived as an "authority" position. I stuck it out a couple of months and now I have been going to him for therapy for years.
dasie
on 1/3/12 8:31 pm
I would call weight loss clinics/offices in my area and ask for a list of therapists who deal with weight related issues.  Many insurance companies require an evaluations, so it is a good bet these clinics should be able to guide you.  Once you have some name, I'd call your insurance company directly and ask if the(se) providers are in-network.  Often times the websites are not user friendly and can actually show providers who are no long in network.  Once you have a list of names you can then decide which one will be right for you.  Good juck in finding the right therapist who can help guide you through this.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics