HELP! Night hunger/greed......HELP

hatda
on 1/3/12 11:45 pm - Northern (Sacramento area), CA
Hello my friends, I need some help! 

My worst time of day is NIGHT .    I follow my meal plans pretty strictly during the day with little temptation to veering, but at night my mind/body goes wild.  I MUST have something crunchy and it seems that fruit doesn't do the trick....so I eat something like crackers or other things not part of the meal plan.

Have you all experienced night hunger/greed and if so, how do you combat it?  Also, If you have a CRUNCH addiction, what do you munch on aside from apples?  I also eat carrots...but would much rather some salty, crunchy chips....so my mind is always on that.  I don't keep them in the house or i'll eat them....but it seems i can't get through the night without going off plan. 

I need HELP as this is very frustrating to me and makes me feel like a failure after being successful all day.

thank you all
PEACE,   Harriet

I'M NOT FEARFUL OF TRAVELING THE PATH OF THE UNKNOWN...BECAUSE I DEPEND ON GOD TO GUIDE MY FOOTSTEPS.

UK_Longhorn
on 1/3/12 11:58 pm
What about nuts, like almonds or pastachio (sp?)  I have a sweet tooth at night so I feel your pain, I found Real fruit popsicles with yogurt center and that does the trick.  I also have had the Nature Valley thin squares, with peanut butter or dark chocolate on the backs...they are 80 calories and crunchy. 

Mia H.
on 1/4/12 1:12 am - OH
 I am a night snacker as well.  What I have been doing is keeping my hands and mind busy by doing puzzle books (like sudoku) or a craft (I've been making origami art), etc.  I find that it keeps my mind off of food.  Another thing I do is drink a cup of warm tea or sugar free hot cocoa.  I find that the warm liquid helps the cravings at night.

poet_kelly
on 1/4/12 1:13 am - OH
I've been doing roasted chickpeas for a crunchy, salty treat.  Lots of protein and delicious.  They take a while to make but that keeps me from snacking for a while - I don't want to eat something else when I know they are in the oven.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mia H.
on 1/4/12 1:35 am - OH
 That sounds delicious.  How do you make them Kelly? 

poet_kelly
on 1/4/12 1:45 am - OH
Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas.  You find them in the grocery store with the beans.  The can might say garbanzo beans instead of chickpeas but they are the same thing.

Put a towel on a baking sheet and spread the chickpeas on the towel.  Cover with another towel and pat dry.  Be gentle, though, don't squash them.

Remove towels and drizzle with a little olive oil or spray with cooking spray.  Stir, then spread out in a single layer. 

Bake at 400 degrees for 40-50 minutes, depending on your oven and how crunchy you like them.  Stir three or four times while baking.

Take out of the oven, put whatever seasoning you like on them, and enjoy!  I usually use salt and this Creole seasoning.  I've down garlic powder and parmesan cheese.  I've also done Splenda and cinnamon for something sweet.

I like them best right out of the oven, while still warm.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rayjack12
on 1/4/12 3:05 am
rayjack12
on 1/4/12 3:12 am
I am EXACTLY the same way!  My go to is pumpkin seeds.  I eat them IN the shell, even though they aren't quite as crunchy that way.  They shell is a tiny bit tough and it takes me longer to eat them that way!  Lots of protein, too.
Ladytazz
on 1/4/12 3:45 am
I make some air popped popcorn.  You can season them as you like and it takes care of crunchy and salty.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

hatda
on 1/4/12 4:19 am - Northern (Sacramento area), CA
GREAT feedback!  thank you all so much!!!!!!

PEACE,   Harriet

I'M NOT FEARFUL OF TRAVELING THE PATH OF THE UNKNOWN...BECAUSE I DEPEND ON GOD TO GUIDE MY FOOTSTEPS.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404