Why do I feel dizzy or light headed?

richard74
on 1/5/12 12:54 pm - TX
Recently I have been feeling light headed or dizzy at times when I'm sitting and suddenly get up or if I'm squatting and then stand up. I feel as if I'm gonna pass out or something, don't really know how to explain. Just wondering if any of you guys have had this feeling. Other than this i feel great have lost a total of 106 lbs and only need 39 more lbs for goal, i had surgery on 6/20/11. Thank you oh family.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/5/12 12:57 pm - OH
 It is very common, and there are a number of possible causes (or any combination of them): simple lack of calories, low blood sugar (from hypoglycemia, reactive hypoglycemia, or just not having eaten recently enough), dehydration, too few carbs in your diet.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mandy R.
on 1/5/12 1:03 pm - Callahan, FL
low BP can also cause it, trying getting up slowly from a sitting position, you can google it....orthostatic hypotension

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

dasie
on 1/5/12 7:44 pm
How is your blood pressure.  I was on two blood pressure meds and was warned when those symptoms began ot occur  to come into the clinic so my PCP could adjust my medications.

T. Deeds
on 1/5/12 10:42 pm
I was having this problem and the doctor said it was from low blood pressure and told me to make sure I was getting enough water.

Paul C.
on 1/5/12 10:42 pm - Cumming, GA
What everyone else said!  Also if it is low BP it could be due to mild dehydration so upping your fluids some could help with this.

I just went through a round of this and it took me about a week to get my hydration level back to normal and then I started back at the gym and it tanked again so I am again batteling the same thing.

All I can say is drink drink drink.  I typically am around 120oz of fluids and days I work out I am around 200oz with 64 of it being Powerade Zero (I chug the stuff!)
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Michelle E.
on 1/5/12 11:55 pm
The same thing happens to me.. its usually my Blood Pressure is too low.. You have to watch your fluid intake.. I usually sip on my Propel Zero before I get out of bed...

Like a naughty RNYer, I drink a little caffeine to up my Blood Pressure too.. Caffeine stimulates the blood pressure.. But RNYrs are suppose to avoid Caffeine like the plague cause its dehydrating and stimulates your appetite.  I usually take in about 100 Fl of water a day when I am not exercising.. so I think I am good. Plus, these days since my plastic surgery, my low appetite has been an issue. 

It could also be low blood sugar, and an array of other things.. Always consult with a Medical Doctor for medical advice! 

Michelle  
H.A.L.A B.
on 1/6/12 3:20 am, edited 1/6/12 3:21 am
I think it is called postural hypotension.
I need to make sure that not only I get enough water - but also salt.
My BP dropped and it is now in low range now. But if I do not drink enough or do not get enough salt in my diet (protein shakes have close to zero) then my BP drops even more and I will have the same issue. 

Start tracking your sodium. Most likely  - you are not getting enough.  We need good quality salt - raw salts. With minerals.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

janers123
on 1/6/12 3:20 am - UT
I too have been feeling this, I am going to see my pcp this afternoon. From reading everyones posts it is probably not enough fluid, I am so struggling with this.  I loved my water before sugery on dec 19th and now I have so much trouble getting it down, I have tried lemon this helps a little.
I can't stand the taste of the fake sugar supplements in the drinks. any advice?

Keeves
on 1/7/12 7:32 am - Elizabeth, NJ
I loved water before my Dec 11 surgery too, but now I have trouble with it. As far as the fake sugar, my problem is more with the fake flavors, like fruit punch, wild berry, and other ones that are so vague that they can't give it a real name. I try to stick with real flavors like "grape" and "orange". Yeah, I know that they are really just chemicals, but I figure that if they give it a real sort of name, then it has better chances of having a real sort of taste.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 417 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 367 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 63 views
Recent Topics