Question about YOUR NUT.

shellbell75
on 1/6/12 1:00 am
I am just curious....I know every NUT is different. What guidelines did your NUT give you regarding carbs and your menu plan. I see some like to keep it under 50, some don't limit it with the exception of focusing on a few servings of complex carbs. Or did your NUT even give you any guidelines? Or did your NUT give you guidelines and you just do what works for you? Do you even have a NUT?

I have a really great NUT (through my surgeons office, the one @ the hospital is just plain crazy). I can call her anytime with any questions and she will always spend any amount of time answering my questions. I am 6 months out and still find myself with questions and find this reassuring.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

lastchanceslim46
on 1/6/12 1:20 am
Get in at least 60 grams of protein.  I had scrambled egg beaters, half a cup w. cheese == around 10 gm, 1/2 scoop of my whey protein later in coffee = 25 grams,  usually chai tea with lt soy milk = about 7 gram, supper 3 ounces of meat of some kind == about 21 gram.  So you see its mostly protein, not much room left for anything else, a few bites of veggies.
Terrilmk
on 1/6/12 1:21 am - SC
I am 5 weeks out. I don't have a "carb" count yet. But I have very specific rules and guidelines to follow. I an not eating any starchy vegi's, grains, or legumes yet. My nut sees me at every surgeon appt and is available by phone anytime.
 HW 240 SW 224 CW 167          
poet_kelly
on 1/6/12 1:38 am - OH
I was just told to limit the starchy carbs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CarolineM
on 1/6/12 2:37 am
 I wasn't given a specific carb count, just told to avoid starches and the white stuff, i.e. white bread, white rice, potatoes.
  HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

jamiemariep
on 1/6/12 3:24 am
Haven't been given a specific carb count but I don't know that they won't do that in the future. The nutritionists and surgeon say no bread/pasta/rice for at least 6 months, and really suggest strictly limiting or avoiding completely if possible. They're guidelines so far are 60g of protein per day and 64oz of water. I wanted a calorie goal and they wouldn't give me one, just say to focus on the protein.

Tiara Classic 5k 5/13/12: 37:19
Marion Village 5k 6/23/12 32:55
Rochester Road Race 5k 8/11 29:58
Acushnet Road Race 4 mile 9/3 41:07
Spooky Spooner 5k 10/28 PR 28:05

Aasect .org
on 1/6/12 3:45 am
The NUT at my hospital contradicted herself all the time. She said to completely limit carbs and get in 60 grams of protein a day, then said mashed potatoes was a perfect food. Ugh.
hlacy
on 1/6/12 3:50 am - Chandler, AZ
 My office has two registered dietitians. They have never given a carb guideline other than only eating whole grains while always eating three bits protein to one bite whole grains, fruits or veggies. I set my own guideline of 50g net carbs a day but if I go over that with fruits, veggies or whole grains I don't stress. I was also given a guideline of at least 60g of protein a day, but per the ASMBS formula I need 75g so I shoot for that!
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/6/12 3:58 am - OH
No specific carb count...  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Hillery82211
on 1/6/12 4:04 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
The only thing I was told in regards to carbs is that they should only come from milk/dairy, veggies, and fruit and that I should avoid simple carbs (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes).  What I do is that I try and get 50% of my calories from protein and 25% from carbs and fat respectively.  So a typical day for me I end up eatting about 40-50g of carbs (but those 50-40g of carbs are all from complex carb sources).
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views