It aint easy , aaahhhhh!!!!!!!!

bigbaby123
on 1/8/12 6:14 pm
I had the surgery done on oct 11 2011, I have lost a little over a hundred pds, my problem is my body rejects nothing, and im noticing i can eat more. so my ? is after a year how much should i be eating ?
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/12 6:18 pm
I have the same problem with wondering how much I should be eating. I am always worried that Im stretching out my pouch. I probably eat about 4oz of meat at each meal, and pry 1/4 cup of veggies. I still wonder if that's too much. Im 10 months post op.
pumpkin77
on 1/8/12 8:25 pm, edited 1/8/12 8:50 pm - Durham, NC
 I had the surgery December 1 2011 and I am having trouble eating period!!  Spent yesterday in the ER with severe dehydration.  Water makes me want to vomit and just the smell of a protein drink makes me want to vomit.  I can barely eat anything at all and when I try only a couple bites in I feel sick.  Granted I have lost 40 lbs in a month but this is becoming concerning.  I am so weak that I can barely make it up my stairs to  my bedroom at home and nevermind at work.  Has anyone else had this problem??
vmeyerw
on 1/9/12 1:21 am - belfield, ND
are you still dehydrated? i was having the same probelm as you nausea all the time but then my surgeon put in the hospital for 3 days for severe dehydration when i was 1 and half months out and i felt alot better i still get nauseated from time to time but its not like it was .. i also use SF hawiian punch to flavor my water and that helps and vitiamin water zero too . i still dont like plain water. also hot lemon-ginger tea helped me too
pumpkin77
on 1/9/12 2:43 am - Durham, NC
 Yes still dehydrated I called my surgeon and they are doing an endoscopy tomorrow to see if something is wrong.
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 1/9/12 2:54 am

My surgeon had us on 1/4 cup of food for the first 3 months, up to 1/2 cup of food at 6 months, 3/4 cup by 9 months out and one cup to  cup and a quarter by one year out and forever after that.
I'm 10 yrs out and still stick to the 1 cup to 1 1/4 cup per meal rule. My body never rejected anything either so I had to police myself. Small portions- measure if you tend to over do, protein only or protein forward meals. I can do more soup than steak, and I still struggle to finish a whole cup of yogurt some days. If you don't overfill your pouch you won't be able to put more and more into it as time goes on. Limiting portions keeps it small and keeps the tool working for us.
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY

Keeves
on 1/9/12 5:02 am, edited 1/9/12 5:03 am - Elizabeth, NJ
(This is a response to bigbaby123. I'm not sure how it ended up down here.)

Sounds to me like you're doing great! (I presume you're still following the rules?)

My wife had RNY seven years ago, and after about 6 months she too was worried because she had never dumped or anything. So she asked the surgeon:

Dr: "Well, have you eaten anything that you expected to get dumping from?"
Wife (ashamed): "Yeah, I had a brownie last week."
Dr: "How big was it?"
Wife: "About half a brownie"
Dr: "And how much brownies did you used to eat?"
Wife: "About half the pan"
Dr (laughing): "Don't worry! You're doing great! A half brownie clearly won't hurt you. Just don't do it too often. I guarantee you that all you need to do is go overboard, and you'll learn what dumping is, just like almost everyone else."

That gave her both the confidence that she was okay, and also the proper respect for staying within the rules. (About six months later, she had too much ice cream and learned what dumping is.)

LosingSally
on 1/9/12 5:34 pm
Try to measure for a while to get a true sense of what you are eating. About 1 cup total should be about what you eat at a meal around 6 months to a year out., unless it's salad which chews down to nothing.
Your body shouldn't reject anything, but beginning to eat more and more will become a habit that will could put you back to where you started. Sometimes people push the limit of what they can eat, which also leads to bigger and bigger portions.
You're early out and have plenty of time to lose any extra pounds you may still want to lose.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views
Forum Search Error & 404