Post op appts

Tri_harder
on 1/9/12 8:33 am, edited 1/9/12 9:12 pm
I had a post op appt. at 2 weeks, 3 months and 6 months. I did follow the diet instruction sheet I was given in the hospital but that was different from people I have read about over the years. I was given 3 oz of pureed food in the hospital 2 days post op and sent home on soft and pureed food. How does that compare to your post op routine?

Sounds like my care was routine. thanks everyone. Tri

poet_kelly
on 1/9/12 9:29 am - OH
I can't remember exactly how often I saw my surgeon, but it was something like one week, one month, three months, six months, nine months, one year.  Plus a few more times when I had problems.  I saw the dietician every time I saw the surgeon.

Currently, I see my PCP every six months and get labs done then.  She orders a very comprehensive set of labs.

I never went to my surgeon's support group, it was too far away, but I an involved with another support group which meets weekly and is very helpful.

I'm really sorry all your surgeon did was say 20% of patients fail.   When you say it was diagnosed, what was diagnosed?  What was the problem determined to be?  Is it that you failed or your surgery somehow failed?  Know what I mean by the difference there?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

myminime
on 1/9/12 1:03 pm - Eugene, OR
I'm sorry to hear of your issues

My post op plan is appointments at two weeks, three months, six months and yearly after that. I don't "get" to see the dietician unless I make an appointment and pay for it out of pocket.

I've managed to miss a number of my monthly support groups for a variety of reasons, so I'm on here .. a lot ...
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/9/12 1:32 pm - OH
 I know that this is going to sound harsh (and I know that someone will jump down my throat for it),  but it sounds to me like you are making excuses.  I saw my surgeon at 2.5 weeks, 6 months, 1 year, and then yearly after that (I am 4.5 years out).  Our original support group was held once a month and was useless.  By the time we formed a new support group on our own, I was more than 2 years out and the group was filled with pre-ops ans brand new post-ops, so it  was of no use to me whatsoever.  I was eating soft food on Day 3 post-op before I ever left the hospital, and NEVER actually met with the dietician (one of them quit and then finally someone called me on the phone when I was 6 months out -- which would have been a little late, if I was off track -- just to see what I was eating and to see if I had any questions).

Nevertheless, I lost 185 pounds (it took me 20 months) and have been maintaining within 5-7 pounds for the 2.5 years AFTER I got to my goal weight.  Success or failure depends on what you put in your mouth and how much you move your body.  Period.  I am not sure what you mean when you say "the failure was diagnosed" when you wee 6 months out.  What failure was diagnosed? A physical failure from surgeon incompetence?  At six months out, there s still a lot of time left to lose the weight, so I don't understand how anything could be based on your weight loss at that point.

Yes, having a support group might have helped, but many people succeed with only the post-op diet instructions from their surgeon and nothing more, so I guess I don't see how the lack of follow-up causes failure.  How are you defining failure, BTW?

lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics