gallbladder out!

mksgr1
on 1/10/12 10:56 pm
 Okay so I heard from the doctor and I have to have my gallbladder out now.  Has anyone had this done after their surgery? What should I expect?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/10/12 11:00 pm - OH
Lots of people have it done after RNY.  It is an easy surgery (usually) with minimal pain and recovery time.  It was the easiest surgery I have ever had, even though one of my incisions had to be an inch and a half long because of some mesh in my abdomen from a hernia repair.)

Some poeple need to weatch fats and carbs after having their gallbladders out, but our diet is prettty low in fat and carbs anyway, so you may not even notice that you no longer have it.  I did not have to change my eating habits at all (although too many carbs does now cause gas).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Brazilnut2
on 1/10/12 11:03 pm - TN
Had mine out a few years pre-RNY but let me assure you, it was the easiest surgery I've ever had!

It was done in an out-patient clinic.  I rested the remainder of the day, ate normally* and drove myself to a meeting, three days later, two hours from home.  I'm sure there are horror stories out there just like there is with any procedure.  My experience, however, was super easy and painless.  I had mine done laprascopically.

*Post-op, when you feel the urge to go #2, run, don't walk,  to the bathroom.  Take my word for it!
cate81
on 1/11/12 4:13 am
 I had mine on a monday and went to work no problem on friday, plus I lost 6 pounds in the hospital so it wasn't all bad, lol. Fatty foods bothered me for like a week after. Good luck

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/12 4:36 am - Phoenix, AZ
I had mine out the same time I had RNY. Pretty easy surgery... minimal pain and I haven't notice any difference... guess cause my diet changed with RNY...
Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/11/12 5:42 am

Mine failed six weeks after surgery. I couldn't get in with the surgeon *****paired my hiatal hernia, so I ended up going to another surgeon.

My recovery time was longer than it was with RNY but the surgeon said that my gallbladder was very inflammed and difficult to remove, so that was probably a factor.  I ended up needing a week off work and I have a desk job.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics