Im confused about the pain.

richard74
on 1/11/12 7:18 am - TX
 This is my issue, I had an orange last night but all I do is drink the juice n spit out the rest. This morning I had a cup of 2% milk cause I was out of 1%. But anyways like an hour later I had a horrible stomach pain so I left work and went home. I went straight to the restroom and could hear my stomach gurgling and bubbling. And sure thing I have diarrhea I have not had this for six months since surgery but u know I never had this stomach pain before accompanied with diarrhea. Anyone else with symptoms like mine. I just don't know what to do to calm or ease the upset stomach or pains maybe cramps never have experienced this before. 

Sharyn S.
on 1/11/12 7:32 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Lactose intolerance.  Many get it a few months after RNY.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

poet_kelly
on 1/11/12 7:37 am - OH
Cramping is pretty common with diarrhea.  Your large intestine is contracting hard to force stool out faster than normal, which is why it's watery.  Usually, stool sits in the large intestine a while and a lot of water gets absorbed out of it so it's firmer.

It's hard saying what caused it.  I know we always want to look at what we ate, and maybe the 2% milk bothered you because it has a little more fat than what you normally drink, but I doubt it because it's not that much more fat.  Often we never figure out what causes diarrhea.  As long as it doesn't last long, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/11/12 8:18 am - OH
It might be the milk (general lactose intolerance), but is is UNlikely to be a result of drinking 2% rather than 1%... the only difference is the fat content (not lactose content), and the difference in fat content between 1C of each is only 2g of fat (and 20 calories) .

As Kelly said, hwoever, it might be completely unrelated to what you drank.  Sometimes our re-arranged digestive systems are just sensitive to LOTS of different things (including, for many, good old-fashioned stress).

If it lasts more than just a few hours some Immodium might help.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

undergoingchange
on 1/11/12 10:55 am
I'm a newbie so just asking.  DId you have enough orange juice to cause you to dump?

Still trying to learn all this stuff.
richard74
on 1/11/12 11:21 am - TX
 Actually I don't dump from what I know of.. Im six months post op n I had a while orange but I don't eat it I just suck the juice out of it. I'm pain free now and it only lasted like 9 hours from after I had the milk so I'm thinking it was the orange from the night before and the milk in the morning 

Megan B.
on 1/11/12 11:01 am - Southgate, MI

I LOVE milk.  Whole milk at that.  I can't drink anything else it just tastes nasty.  BUT as nature has it.  I can't drink it.  Even a sip makes me have exactly what you described.  I start drinking water, if I can (I am pregnant and throw up a ton still) and I also take a gasx strip AND it seems to cut the pain out really fast.

I hope that helped.

missjann
on 1/11/12 11:41 am
If it happens any more, you may consider if you're lactose intolerant now.
If so, you can simply get a lactaid milk- tastes, if anything, a bit sweeter
than regular milk.  Or, there's soy, rice, almond etc....lots of other options
for milk.  Hard to say otherwise what it was.
    Jan

JodiLee1
on 1/11/12 1:03 pm
I think maybe you drank it too fast.  Milk does have sugar also.  Your gut was mad at you.  As far as oranges, they have a high acid content.  So, if you have a history of GERD, heartburn or ulcers be careful.  They also have sugar.  Maybe try an antacid instead of milk if you have any heartburn symptoms.  I didn't dump until 1 yr out.  I'm almost 2 yrs out and find I'm dumping more.  But my dumping involves heart racing and sleepiness.  I sometimes dump on my normal "diet" foods.  Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 195 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?