Looking for feedback on protein please

virvin
on 1/11/12 9:53 am - CO
I am 6.5 months post-op.  I am down quite a bit from my highest weight which was taken 2 weeks prior to my surgery.  The surgery went well and every day is a gift.

My problem is that I am still having a really hard time with my protein.  I can do the liquid protein pretty easily, but any time I try to eat meat (chicken, turkey, steak...), I get so ill.  I am on an acid reducer already.  I even just put the food in my mouth and my stomach starts turning.  The only thing that I can seem to handle are crackers and nuts and the liquid protein. 

I am definitely a meat-a-tarian (as opposed to a vegetarian).  :)  I love meat in all shapes and sizes so this has been extremely stressful for me.  Now just the smell of meat cooking is making me nauseous. 

Has anyone else had this issue and what do you do to counteract it?

Thanks for all your help!

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

Thumbelina
on 1/11/12 10:12 am - MI
 The only meat I can't eat is hamburger, steak and pork chops.. However , if I put it in the crockpot and cook it all day I can eat porkchops and steak... Hamburger..No way I can't eat it.. 
poet_kelly
on 1/11/12 10:50 am - OH
The best thing I can suggest is to leave the meat along for a little while, then try it again.  Are crackers and nuts really the only food you can  handle?  No veggies?  No yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, tofu, beans?  No fruit?  If you really cannot eat anything but nuts and crackers, you need to call your doc tomorrow.  I do know one person that pretty much became a vegetarian after surgery because her pouch never did handle meat well, but that's unusual.  Most post ops can handle most meats, although some not until they are several months out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mia H.
on 1/11/12 11:07 am, edited 1/11/12 11:08 am - OH
 I am as far out as you are, and I have the same thing.  My pouch doesn't tolerate the really dense proteins.  I like chicken and stuff but some times I can eat it and other time I can't.  I also just don't have an appetite for it.  I love veggies and would be happy as a vegetarian to be honest, but I do like fish and tofu though.  Can you eat those?  I can't do salmon and tuna as they are too oily, but I do all sorts of dishes with tilapia, cod, orange roughy, basically a while fish.  I also like shrimp, mussels, lobster and crab.  These tend to be really easy on my pouch and good sources of protein as well.  Tofu is another favorite of mine too.  Really easy on the pouch.  I do eat greek yogurt, nuts, and cheeses for more protein.  

virvin
on 1/11/12 11:25 am - CO
I am allergic to all seafood so that puts that out of the question.  I am trying to incorporate yogurt int my diet, but I'm not a big fan.  Unforunately, I am a picky eater.  I'm hoping that I will learn to like the other stuff in time.

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

missjann
on 1/11/12 11:56 am
I didn't tolerate many meats until I was about 6 months out and I still do
ground meats at just over a year out. I'm a carnivore as well, but meats
and I are fussy now.  I lived on Wendy's chili and fat-free refried beans and
did super with them at your stage. I still eat lots of beans and lentils and
put them in everything. I use them a lot on tostada shells with cheese, or
put enchilada sauce and cheese on top of the refried beans...yum!
As for yogurt, nobody hates yogurt more than I do...but I love my Greek
yogurt now.  Get the plain Greek yogurt and sprinkle sugar-free pudding
(cheesecake, lemon, pistachio or banana) in the yogurt. Just sprinkle
it in dry. Mix with a bit of milk or it gets really thick...top with light cool
whip or any kind of fruit (Wilderness canned no sugar added pie filling)
and it's a yummy, sweet dessert.  I love the stuff.  You can put
bananas, blueberries, various syrups, drizzle of chocolate etc.  I
have some every day and it's got a lot more protein than regular
yogurt, no "sour" taste and much less sugar. Try eggs various
ways. Also, I find that meat just doesn't "do it" for me like it did
before surgery.  I eat it a couple of times a week, but I'm not loving
meat like I used to.  I also find the smell of meat cooking now
absolutely disgusting and it hasn't changed over the year since
my surgery. I use lots of onions and garlic to cover the smell.
    Jan

angelajula
on 1/11/12 3:09 pm - Eldersburg, MD
I am a little bit worried about it myself really. I am from St. Louis MO. Our State/family loves grilling meat. I am 5 weeks out and keep experiementing. So far the only thing I really can't handle is meat, specifically ground anything, pork/beef steak. After just a few bites being chewed like I mean it, I have pain. Also if there is no pain, I can tolerate 2 oz or less and then loose all interest. BBQ is a family staple.

The only good thing is now I live in MD, land of funky seafood. Old Bay on everything, and if you don't know what that is, firstly your not missing anything, secondly your probably not from MD. They are in a  world of their own. But occastionally some really awesome seafood can be found. That I can tolerate well.

I need to fall madly in love with sushi, but I know nothing about it just about, and don't know what I'm ordering...
Everybody has one fight. This is mine. ~ Stacie  
O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O
dasie
on 1/11/12 5:45 pm
I could not sit down and eat a piece of meat for a very long time.  I'm 26 months out, so the exact month slips my mind. I'd have to go back and re-read my old posts.   I did not eat meat for one year, very little year two and still pass it up now many/most  days.  To get additional protein this is what we did....

If we were cooking soup or beans, prior to cooking my husband cut the meat into tiny pieces - about the size of peas in most cases.  We cooked the meat in the vegetable soup or beans - or whatever the case.  The meat cooked so well  and was so soft.  It usually just cooked apart.  That was the only way I could eat meat without getting sick or stuck or nauseous.  Meat hurt my pouch...it just would sit like a rock in there and was very hard for my pouch to process.

The one way I could eat meat was in meat loaf.  I used ground turkey or ground pork from whole foods.  I sauteed the vegetables before I mixed the meat loaf and made sure it was very, very moist.  I could then eat a small piece.

I pretty much lived on shakes, beans, cheese, yogurt, PB & crackers (I had to give that because the crackers became an issue) very little cottage cheese.  I could not eat eggs until year 2 unless it was in egg drop soup.

Keeves
on 1/11/12 11:50 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
A friend of mine was a real carnivore like you, but 9 months out he just gave up on it. Total vegetarian for no reason other than the taste.

You wrote that you "love" meat. I hope you won't mind this suggestion, but maybe you should think long and hard about this: Do you love meat (in the present tense), or *did* you love meat (in the past tense)?

It is so easy to hold on to memories and habits. But MANY of us RNYers DO experience taste changes. And it might be easier to accept them than to deny them.

Meanwhile, nutritionwise: Can you handle fish? Eggs? How about the soy-based vegetarian fake meat? There ARE sources of protein other than meat. I hope you find some that you can tolerate.

Alternatively, as some above suggested, your taste changes might just be temporary. Wait a few weeks or months and try again. Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 771 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 374 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 501 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 152 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 276 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?