Hi guys/gals..been a long time..some vitamin questions

Bridget M.
on 1/14/12 6:34 am - Bakersfield, CA
Wow its been forever since I have been here. I use to stalk this board non-stop back when I had lap-band (then did revision to RNY). I have alot to catch up on! But in the meantime I need some serious help.

Vitamins. I suck at this. I either dont take them or take gummy ones. I have been reading how much those suck. I have had a ton of female issues and my throat, tongue, cheeks burn. Its difficult to swallow. Basically I have waited until the last minute to educate myself. Im guilty. Now lets move on. I became pregnant 4 month safter surgery, and have a healthy 16 month old now. But I had blood panels and Im extremley anemic (forgive spelling), the doctor said she doesnt know how Im walking around. I need help. I need vitamins. I have tried a multitude of liquid/chewable. I tried many protein drinks. I know it varies but I seriously need some good advice about what works and what are our requirements. I went to 3 vitamin stores today and they knew crap about gastric bypass and just pointed me to liquid vitamins. I need some good vitamins. I cant stress this enough. I know to always check with your doctor also, but I want info from the mouth of the people who know. The educated people. Because frankly? vitamins (and math) confuses the hell out of me. 200mg of this and that and dont take this and that, it confuses me ALOT.

Please any help is appreciated.
roxie46
on 1/14/12 7:11 am
I am only 8 months post op and I dont have any problems. If I did the first thing I would do is call my doctor that done my surgery. To me thats the best thing cause my family doctor and all the other doctors in my home town knows nothing about gastric bypass. I would read up on everything about gastric bypass with taking the vitamins. I am sorry I dont have any real advice for you.  I ask many questions from time to time and learned many things, I just hoped there is more info for all doctor even if they are not gastric bypass doctors. They all should be inform on what to do in case of any emergancy. Good luck and hope things gets better for you.
Bridget M.
on 1/14/12 7:11 am - Bakersfield, CA
Hmmm ok, can you at least point me in a direction or how to search the posts on here?
Hattie T.
on 1/14/12 7:21 am, edited 1/13/12 7:34 pm - Denver, CO
Kelly will be able to tell you more, but in the meantime:

Centrum Chewable Multivitamins twice day or Celebrate Chewable Multivamins twice daily. Make sure that you get the Multi that has 18 or more iron (twice daily doses need to equal 36). DO NOT take your multi/iron within 2 hours of your calcium.

For calcium I use "Upcal D" and GNC' chewable calcium tablets. Upcal is a flavorless powder that really mixes well with drinks and food. The GNC tablets are very dry, but tasty. You need at least 1500 grams daily. BUT! Only take 500 within a 2 hour period because that's all the body can absorb at one time.

For Protein, I use Isopure Powder Mix (available at GNC and online). Two scoops mixed or blended well with 12 ounces of water packs 50 grams of protein. You need a minimum of 80 grams. I mix a pack of Upcal D calcium powder with the Isopur, and this drink is my breakfast. (Two hours later I take my chewable multi/iron and eat my lunch.)

I take a dropper full of B-12 under my tongue (sublingual) before bed along with my last multi/iron. REMEMBER no less than 2 hours after getting in your last dose of calcium. And, sublingual is the method to use on the B-12 because it goes directly to the blood stream. Swallowing B-12 fails because it doesn't get absorbed by our pouch.

So, 2 hours between calcium and multi/iron; no fluids 1/2 hour before or after meals no matter whether the meal is liquid or solid; must get in protein FIRST, then veggies and fruit.

Good Luck and God Bless you!

Hattie
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
aanmarie
on 1/14/12 7:33 am - NY
Hmm I didnt know GNC had chewable calcium citrate.How many do you chew a day?Are they 500 mg each?I use the bariatric advantage becuase i only have to chew 3 a day.I hate having to constantly take supplements but it is worth it.
Hattie T.
on 1/14/12 7:50 am - Denver, CO
Yep, GNC has "Chewable Calcium Plus 600 with Vitamin D-3" with calcium citrate.  This calcium has the citrate as well as carbonate in a blend that works quickly and slowly (something for everyone).
poet_kelly
on 1/14/12 8:03 am - OH
How much of it is citrate?  Because that's all we would absorb.  How do you know how much to take?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Hattie T.
on 1/14/12 8:28 am - Denver, CO

Great question.  I will try to find out and will post an answer either way.

Hattie

Hattie T.
on 1/14/12 9:17 am, edited 1/14/12 9:19 am - Denver, CO
While doing some research, I ran across the most helpful document: http://www.ochsner.org/content/
misc_files/_BARIATRIC_NUTRITION_BIBLE.pdf

It is published by a bariatric center in New Orleans.  Perfect for newbies and reviews.   Kelly, have you seen this document?  I'm thinking it might not be new to you old-timers

So far I haven't found actual numbers re: the citrate percentage but
1)  I found that Dr. Richard Ing, Director of Bryn Mawr Hospital's Bariactric Center recommends the GNC chewables; and
2) I sent GNC the question.  (I sure hope they answer before I run out of calcium and have to purchase more.)

Have a great night everybody,

Hattie

poet_kelly
on 1/14/12 9:33 am - OH
I had not seen that and it's got some great info in terms of diet.

However, it says that drinking with a straw can stretch your pouch, which is just not true.  When I see stuff like that, it makes me distrust all the info in it.

I still like the suggestions for different stages of diet, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 521 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 318 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?