Any advice for me before my RNY on Mon, 1/23 ?

Bettisima
on 1/16/12 11:39 am
You will have a lot of emotions, including the ever popular what in the heck have I done to myself. I didn't pani****il I was in pre op. I was too busy getting everything ready for me to be in the hospital and family stuff to keep moving the right direction.

Find a good support group, keep yourself connected and ask questions. Be prepared there may be people in your life who change drastically as you start to lose weight. You are changing the dynamic and it scares people. Remember that when they get scared, they will say snide things to you. It is their own insecurities, their own issues with self image that cause them to lash out at you. To attempt to derail your new lifestyle with comments like 'you used to be more fun'. Or 'I dont see why one piece of cake is going to hurt you'

It is a fabulous journey, full of many emotions. It is an amazing time of discovery. Learning what your new body can do, and the things you now enjoy.

I wish you the very best. Keep us posted!
Linda H.
on 1/16/12 12:08 pm - NC
Sure will -- thanks for your input! 
Christopher S.
on 1/16/12 11:47 am - Medina, NY
RNY on 01/24/12
  Know your not alone.. My date is 1/24 so right behind you.

Weight Loss Ticker

Christopher

Linda H.
on 1/16/12 12:12 pm - NC
Thanks, Christopher!  Good luck with your surgery, too! 
LisaBee1964
on 1/16/12 2:34 pm - OH
good luck Linda! it 's worth it--set small goals for yourself and reward yourself for reaching them, and keep reading and posting on this forum, it really helps :)
  I am lovin' life!         
Linda H.
on 1/16/12 10:17 pm - NC
Thanks so much for your reminder to set small goals....its easy to forget the small things!
Kat Kat
on 1/16/12 2:49 pm, edited 1/16/12 2:49 pm - AZ
Hi Linda,

The unknown can be that way, so at least you'll be happy to know you're normal.

Make sure you have things ready for when you get home such as:

-Vitamin, supplements and fill any prescriptions you normally take as well as ask the doc for prescriptions ahead of time , so you don't have to make a stop. Oh, and I can almost guarantee GAS-X.
-Bandages, band-aids, dressings, or ointments you might need (ask doc in advance)
-SF Jello
-SF Pudding
-Broth
-SF Popsicles
-Crystal light if you like it
-Decaffeinated tea if you like it
-Bottled water if you drink it (its too heavy to carry post op).
-Protein drinks (powder or ready made, but don't stock up because taste can change after surgery)
-Get laundry done ahead of time.
-Cook and freeze dinners for family, so they are easy to prepare.
-Make sure your shoes are nice and sturdy because walking is important.
-Make sure the TV remote has good batteries.
-Maybe a good book, or some magazines.

For the Hospital:
You really don't need much because you'll be busy in the OR, and then too tired, sore and drugged up to be very busy, but I suggest.
-Loose clothing for the ride home (I wore home what I wore there).
-Clean undies! (but that's just me)
-Lip Balm, they have so many great flavors, so pick wisely ( I had a pomegranate that was awesome).
-Cell Phone and charger.
-Pillow  to hold against your tummy for the ride home.
-Slippers, nightgown, and robe if you don't like the hospital johnny, and gripper socks.
-CPAP if you use one

Okay, now when you get all nervous in advance, just think of all of us here who are doing well. Try to think about the positive things you've read on the forum. Try to remember that obesity is more likely to shorten, and diminish your quality of life as opposed to any serious complications from WLS.

We'll be right here waiting for you when you get back.

Best Wishes!

Kat

Linda H.
on 1/16/12 10:15 pm - NC
Hi Kat!  What a terrific post -- thanks so much for the wonderful feedback!  (I don't have SF pudding here, but will be sure to have some for when I get home). 

Its great to have such a wonderful resource of successful support people!  Your weight loss is terrific!!  Thanks for taking the time to share...hugs, L
Kat Kat
on 1/17/12 1:35 am - AZ
What a nice thing to say, Thanks Linda! I just did what my doctor said to do and the rest was due the sage adviceof the vets here at OH.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views
Forum Search Error & 404