Depression

Jim MaToochi
on 1/16/12 3:43 pm - Chicago, IL
Does anyone who is post op suffer from depression?

I had RNY one year ago this past September. I am wondering if anyone is suffering from depression? I have suffered from depression in the past and have been hospitalized before. I am wondering if anyone else is feeling depressed after their weight loss?
poet_kelly
on 1/16/12 3:49 pm - OH
I've had depression for most of my life,  At least since age 12 or so.  I still have it after my weight loss.  I did not expect RNY to cure depression.  I've been hospitalized before too, a number of times.

Are you getting treatment for your depression?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kat Kat
on 1/16/12 4:00 pm - AZ
I do, but it's been under control for a really long time. I'm 9 months out, and feeling really happy and positive about my future.  I'm also excited about all the things I will be able to do now that I'm no longer super morbidly obese. Are you seeing anyone? Are you on medication?  If not, please make an appointment as soon as possible.  You might  need to talk, and work through some issues that you used food to handle for you in the past. Please do this soon.

*Hugs*
Kat

immafatgirl
on 1/16/12 10:32 pm - KY
yeSSSS
BusyBri
on 1/16/12 11:46 pm - Reynoldsburg, OH
Yes. pre op i never had any issues with it.  Last week i finally went to my family dr about it. 

vmeyerw
on 1/17/12 12:21 am - belfield, ND
yes ! my pcp gave me celexa and it helped alot !
H.A.L.A B.
on 1/17/12 1:17 am
Some mineral - vitamin deficiencies may add to the depression. I.e. iron, B12, B1, D, tyrosine, iodine, proteins, etc. 

Lower than normal carb intake- may also contribute to lower serotonin level. That's why other numbers need to be optimized to make a difference. IMO.
Additionally - lower cholesterol - may contribute to low testosterone - in men and women.

Make sure your doc runs all the labs, and for me - I need my labs to be in high or optimum level (just above normal is not enough) to feel the difference. i.e. I am on weekly B12 injections. That allows me to have my B12 close or above 800... I can feel when my numbers are down.
I was low on iron and needed iron infusions....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

redzz04
on 1/17/12 2:02 am
Hala, there is a vitamin B12 nose spray called nascobal that I use instead of going for the injections. I couldn't take getting stabbed over and over and my doc gave me nascobal. One spray in the nose either weekly or monthly and you dont need the injections! Its great!

"Never act until you have answered the question 'What happens if I do nothing?'" - Robert Brault
"Love is borne from soul to soul on the wings of words." - Rudolph Steiner  
 Elizabeth M 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/17/12 2:36 am
Thanks. I know about the nasal spray. But as much as I hate needles... I actually do-it-myself once a week, or more ... if I feel I need it.  I tried the spray but hated how that felt.  lol... funny - no?
After all I get accupucture every month or so... and that really hurts. Small (insulin-like) needle is virtually painless compared to that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

exohexoh
on 1/17/12 2:02 am - West Chester, PA
 i, like kelly, have suffered from depression for the majority of my life. luckily medication helps me a ton with it, other than the fatigue which i can deal with. i have never been hospitalized (but probably should have been a few times). 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 382 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 272 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics