Weight gain 5 years post-op

Melanie M.
on 1/16/12 10:13 pm - Amherst, OH
Hello all,

I am writing to anyone who is willing to listen (read).  I am in need of some support.  Any words of encouragement would be appreciated.  I have just a few main concerns if anyone is willing to give me some advice or just offer any words at all.  ....

a)  My MAIN concern is that I am becoming what I swore to myself I never would - one of those people that gains all of their weight back after being very successful in making the lifestyle change.  In February, I will be 5 years post-op.  I lost 192 pounds, going from 349lbs to 157lbs.  When I got pregnant with my daughter I was 160.  I gained 43 pounds and immediately lost back down to 174 after having her.  I was lucky.  But now, I am so disappointed in myself because 2.5 years later after having her I have now gained and am back at 198.  :(  I am SO scared and feeling so worried and I know it is because I don't exercise like I used to and I snack more.  After making the changes, it seems I am falling back down and getting into old habits. 

b)  I am having a tough time "swallowing my pride" I guess you could call it?  I am having trouble dealing with the fact that I need to just use little tricks here and there like pre-portioning snacks and measuring food, etc.  I guess I strive so hard to feel "normal" like a normal skinny person who doesn't need to use tricks that I am struggling grasping that I DO need to do these things.  I feel like now that I on the dieting bandwagon, whereas when I was steadily losing after surgery I felt like my lifestyle was just better not that I was dieting. 

Can anyone please offer some support.  I am so depressed, scared, losing all will.  Help please.  :(
- Melanie

"Thanking God everyday for my second chance at life.."
hedrider
on 1/16/12 10:39 pm - Midlothian, TX
It's a tough place to find yourself in and at almost 2 years I can see myself doing the same thing unless I am vigilant.  It's so easy to slip back into old habits.

Have you examined everything you are eating?  Have you logged several days worth of foods?  What have you let slip in that you can do better without...?  Lots of sugar?  High carb/fat foods?

You already mentioned what you need to do, all the planning and measuring.  Count your calories, are you getting WAY more than you imagined?  Are you working out?

You have the knowledge and the tools, you just need the motivation to use them.  You've done this twice now, so you can do it again.  Do it, and use this time to figure out what you need to keep doing to make it stick!
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/12 10:44 pm - Boston, MA
 I'm sorry you're having a tough time.  the ONLY WAY to get back on track is to write down everything you eat and cut out the carbs; go back to protein first, don't drink when you eat. do everything you did right after surgery and I'm sure the weight will come back off.  I can only imagine how frustrating it is to gain again.. but stop it now before it becomes 75-100 lbs..  YOU are the only one that can do it, you have the tool!  Good luck
KittenLove
on 1/16/12 11:13 pm - Around Knoxville, TN
I'm with you on the pride thing. Please do not get depressed though -- you can do this!

This is a lifetime battle of dealing with our food demons but the most important thing is that you realize this before it gets out of hand -- kudos for that!

....words from the girl who downed a pint of butter pecan last night..out of STRESS!

Be happy. 

takqia1
on 1/16/12 11:14 pm
What an amazing journey you have had. Our original weight and goals are similiar and I don't blame you for feeling out of control.
Do you have a support system or an exercise buddy?
I've probably gained and lost 500 pounds in my lifetime and I seem to do better having someone else to answer to for my unhealthy decisions.
Can you go to a dr or have faith in someone to share this journey with?
You know the answers and have the ability I'm sure you don't need a newbie telling you what to do. Smile today is a new day do it for yourself and your children.
jennifer W.
on 1/17/12 12:20 am
I commend you for getting on the board. I think its a great step. Try going back to basics. High protein foods, water, steer clear of starches and carbs.
my son is 2 1/2 and he LOVES to exercise with me. Maybe Your daughter would like it. It really helps because its become part of my routine and if I'm not in the mood to do it he will push me. Its pretty awesome having my 2yr old say "mommy get up exercise! "
We dance, we do stretches, we walk, we also have a video we do together.
 HW: 365  SW: 342  CW: 182

Inch by Inch's Life's a Cinch, Yard by Yard, Life's Hard - Dr.
Madden
WoodsonArcher
on 1/17/12 12:26 am - TX
You were 349 pounds at one time. You are no where near that now. You are still successful and healthier than you were. I would buy some protein shakes and have them for breakfast and lunch as it is easy to be busy at work. Then go walking when you get home and change your routine to limit snacking. That is something we all struggle with. I love the Food network TV shows, but i know if I watch them, I want to snack, so i have to change my routine. You can do the same and you will be successful. But always feel good at what you have accomplished.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/17/12 2:41 am, edited 1/17/12 4:52 am - OH
You already know what you need to do to fix this, because you told US the problem... too much snacking and not enough exercise. I am 4.5 years post op and have a self-imposed 5 pound gain limit. When I hit that for 2 consecutive weekly weigh-ins, I eliminate as many non-dairy carbs as possible and increase my protein and water a bit... and I can usually get those 5 pounds off in about 2 weeks). My exercise is very limited becuse of a bad knee, so have to rely on controlling my food intake to maintain my loss (so you CAN do it without exercise... it is just harder that way).

i know from my own experience and with working with clients who have had WLS or have lost a bunch of weight without surgery, that it is very easy to VIEW the changes as true lifestyle changes when it is really a combination of behavioral changes and the surgery "doing its thing". once the malabsorption is gone and we get several years out from surgery, it is VERY easy to let those old habits creep back in. I think it is REALLY important, however, to focus on the LIFESTYLE changes now rather than DIETING because now is sort of a test of whether you are truly changing your lifestyle or only changed it long enough to get the weight off, if that makes sense. Just go back to basics... protein first ALWAYS, limited portions, limited carbs, and lost of water (except with and immediately after meals). Forget the tricks (although I don't consider portion control and measuring snacks to be tricks)... chase out any thoughts of some fad diet (including all protein shakes) to lose the weight... going back to basics will REINFORCE your lifestyle change instead of putting you back on the diet treadmill.

You can do this!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

inspector-girl
on 1/17/12 3:18 am - Somewhere, AK
I'm 9 years po and I too am having the same issue and honestly my eating has been mostly the same.  Yeah I've had a few times where I just am plain old stupid.  But I did mention it to my surgeon that after I had my hysterectomy I seemed to just blossom!  He responded with I can't fix mother natures natural plan - when we get older you will find that things like that do happen and to just be dedicated to exercise and water and that it's all me now - the surgery portion is done...
Melanie M.
on 1/18/12 12:17 am - Amherst, OH
I just want to thank you all for your encouraging and kind words.  It's been hard for me these past couple years as my surgeon transferred out of state along with his helpful nurses who I grew to love.  I feel like I have no support anymore (fellow WLSers).  You have all pointed out something that I pushed out of my mind.. be it that I have stepped up and recognized the problem early on, or that I just need to go back to basics, etc.  ALL of your thoughts are the support that I needed the most.  I am so thankful for how far I have come and just need to change my lifestyle back to the way I had it after surgery.  No diets, just common sense.  Thank you all so much.  :)
- Melanie

"Thanking God everyday for my second chance at life.."
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?