OT:Paula Dean....

Lisa R.
on 1/17/12 9:23 am - CA
 Has type 2 diabetes!  No way!  LOL

On the Today show she admitted she has type 2 and said she doesn't think she got it from her diet.  Um, ok. 

She wraps it all in bacon and deep fries it.....on one of her shows she made some kind of breakfast sandwich using donuts as the bun.  DONUTS!  2 whole donuts, not cut one in half long way and make a bun, she had a whole donut on each end.  

I think she is a fun lady, but it needs to be said that her cooking ways are what is killing Americans.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
knowbetterdobetter
on 1/17/12 9:32 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Yeah, but keep in mind that Americans are choosing what they put in their mouths. She is not force feeding anyone. McDonalds, Burger King, etc. are not going out of business they are expanding all over the globe. They have not been hit by the recession.  People love junk. It tastes good and it feels good. Should we eat it every day? No. Should we eat in moderation? Yes. Do we? A lot of people dont. Thats why we are leading the world in obesity. Paula Deen is a business and her business is unhealthy food. Giada promotes Italian food. Bobby Flay is the grill master. Paula Deen is not to blame. We are to blame for what we put in our own mouths.
Lisa R.
on 1/17/12 9:43 am - CA
 You're right, absolutely.  I got fat because of my choices, not anything else.

And yes, I like your point about Gilda and Bobby, like it is ok for them because they are thin.  

But Dean's stuff is the most unhealthy and if we are going to talk about health and weight we have to talk about the things like the donut burger.  I have to disagree with one thing....no way is there a case for moderation when it comes to a donut as a bun!  LOL

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
knowbetterdobetter
on 1/17/12 9:50 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Yeah, that donut thing is just ridiculous. But you know somebody out there probably made it and ate it and enjoyed every last bite LOL.  My sister in law who teaches Zumba no less made one of her recipes for bread pudding using Krispy Kreme donuts. Can you believe it? She said it was really good. I'm glad I wasnt around to try it. I have been to Paulas restaurant a few times and you have to get on line early in the morning just to get a table for lunch. The food was really good but it was bit salty for my tastes but people love it. I think there is room for people like Paula Deen in the world but you have to take her recipes for what they are.
Lisa R.
on 1/17/12 9:56 am - CA
 I'm sure most, if not all, of her food is unbelievably good!  Donut bread pudding, that is just too much!  WOW!

I ate at Emeri's place in Vegas, that was really really good.  I think his food is a bit better but high in salt.

Let's face it, fat tastes good.  I have a friend that feels any cooking receipt can be improved with butter.  If it doesn't taste right she adds butter.  Her stuff tastes great, but I can't eat at her house anymore!  LOL

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/12 9:46 am
Before I had surgery (and I still do) I loved to watch her cook!  She gets such pleasure from it, but I never could bring myself to make any of her recipes, because I already had diabetes (was on oral medication), hypertension (on 2 medications at the time) and borderline high cholesterol.  I already was a ticking time bomb, so I never made any of her recipes.  Now that she has diabetes, maybe if she makes low-cal, low-fat or low-carb versions of her recipes, I probably would try them, but before I didn't dare try!
Cleopatra_Nik
on 1/17/12 9:55 am - Baltimore, MD
Ok, granted Paula Deen does take unhealthy cooking to new heights BUT...

Obesity is a precursor to diabetes. If you are obese, you are more likely to GET diabetes. Obesity, in and of itself, is not dependent on those eating habits.

Which may or may not be applicable to Paula Deen. I dunno if she eats that way all the time or if it just for show. BUT...I feel in a way that the world is reveling in this knowledge...holding it up like a stinkrag to the noses of every obese person saying, "SEE? This is what you get for being a fat glutton!"

Because really, if Paula were thin, even eating the way she eats, we'd probably view this whole thing differently.

It's just another example of how fat people get penalized simply for being fat. I don't see anyone breathing down that guy Adam's throat from Man vs. Food.

Paula has Type 2 diabetes. She's an older overweight woman so I'm not surprised about that. But what does bug me is...why is this such a giddy topic on the news?

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Mallory R.
on 1/17/12 10:56 am - Greenville, NC
RNY on 01/18/12
I have heard her say many times in interviews (Dr. Oz and Oprah) that she is a chef not your doctor.  Use self-control and moderation.  Touche!!
Mallory Dawn        
knowbetterdobetter
on 1/17/12 11:08 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Yep, thats right!
I forgot about that. I remember her saying that several times. She is right. We all have to be accountable for ourselves.
(deactivated member)
on 1/17/12 11:04 am - Phoenix, AZ
 Omg I tried two of her recipes (French toast casserole & gooey butter cake) pre-op days... Let's just say my heart skipped a beat in a bad way.... Talk about butter and sugar overload. I see why I was super morbidly obese.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 565 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 343 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 21 views
Recent Topics