Physical signs of too little protein

Annette O.
on 1/17/12 11:41 pm - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
I was wonderig if there is a physical symptom to knowing your not getting enough protein.
I know most people count their protein by what they eat, but I would suppose there are people
who are complacent about this and just go by how they feel. (I'm not one of them, I'm
stil new and keep track). 
  Vitamin, calcium, etc levels are checked through blood work is there a protein count as well?
Annette O
H.A.L.A B.
on 1/17/12 11:51 pm

Severe deficiency may show - but not always.  The body will start breaing down your muscles (heart is a muscle) way before that.

one of the symptoms may be being tired, low energy, muscle aches, and last - with severe deficincies - swelling of legs.... google for more symtoms. 

BTW: I thought I was doing realy good, but my blood work showed my blood protein leve at 6.5  I want it to be more than 7... for optimum level.  And I was eating often and lots of proteins. but not enough supplements.  It is not how much you eat - take in  food, but how much your body can absorb.  Only blood test will really show that.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 1/17/12 11:52 pm - OH
When you get labs done, they should check your total protein, albumin and prealbumin.

Symptoms of not getting enough protein include:

• Edema - A collection of fluid under the skin, which most commonly affects the legs, feet, and ankles, but can occur anywhere on the body.
  • Thinning or brittle hair, hair loss
  • Ridges or deep lines in finger and toe nails
  • Skin becomes very light, burns easily in the sun
  • Reduced pigmentation in the hair on scalp and body
  • Skin rashes, dryness, flakiness
  • General weakness and lethargy
  • Muscle soreness and weakness, cramps
  • Slowness in healing wounds, cuts, scrapes, and bruises
  • Bedsores and other skin ulcers
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Headache
  • Nausea and stomach pain
  • Fainting
  • Depressed immune system, increase susceptibility to infection and illness
  • Loss of  muscle tissue
  • Heart damage (eventually)
  • Crankiness, moodiness
  • Severe depression
  • Anxiety
  • Lack of energy, no desire to do things

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Annette O.
on 1/18/12 12:17 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
Thank you Hala and Kelly. I actually knew about the total protein in the lab work, but completely
forgot. I always appreciate you repsonses.
Annette O
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 249 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 399 views