What does "stuck" feel like?

Lisa R.
on 1/18/12 2:05 am - CA
 I have heard people say that got something stuck and how bad it hurts.

Well I just ate some cheese, a few grapes and some baby carrots and I have pain in my upper abdomen.  It feels sore, and it keeps me doubled over and then it flares up and cramps.  The cramp dies down but the pain is still there.  

Is that what stuck feels like?

I did already call the doctor and talked to the nurse who said full liquids for today then soft foods tomorrow and call them back then if the pain is still there.  In the mean time just trying to see if this pain is "normal"

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
gabbyabby
on 1/18/12 2:16 am
FOR ME, stuck is very uncomfortable, i feel like I need to throw up (and usually do) I feel a lot of presure and a feeling that the food did not sit right at all. 

Hope it passes soon.  :(

Michelle L.
on 1/18/12 2:51 am - Phoenix, AZ
For me it felt like a had a rock stuck in my chest. Sometimes it would pass, and sometimes I would end up vomiting. But it hasn't happened in a long time. Definitely call the doc if it doesn't go away soon.

Annyka
on 1/18/12 3:08 am - Pfafftown, NC
Stuck for me is sharp pain just above the sternum - some in front, but more in back (your pouch is closer to your back than your chest). It's usually accompanied by gurgles and an excessive need to burp, and usually closely followed by vomiting.

I had a run starting a couple weeks ago of vomiting at least once a day for 10 days. They had me go back to liquids for 2 days, then puree for 2 days, and I'm now on day 3 of solids again, no vomiting - but I've been EXTRA EXTRA careful about chewing 30x per bite, taking very small bites, and waiting at least 1 minute between bites.
losing-jennifer
on 1/18/12 5:06 am
Dry heaves, nausea, pain in sternum...want to throw up badly but it won't come up. Also I can feel when its trying to push through and that's when the pain is the worst!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/18/12 5:40 am
Lisa,
This has happened to me twice postop. Both times that it happened, it was after introducing a new food. Once it was a ground hamburger/salisbury steak type thing and the second baked chicken thighs. Neither of my episodes made me think that it was a "stuck" feeling as there was no feeling of something being caught and I didn't feel like I needed to vomit. The pain actually felt very similar to what I experienced when I was having a gallbladder attack though I had my gallbladder taken out several months prior to my RNY.

The very severe pain would come and go but  a lingering soreness remained inbetween the waves of severe pain. My doctor told me the same thing, take it easy by consuming only liquids and let them know if the pain persisted. The second episode actually lasted a couple of days but eventually went away.

I hope you feel better, very soon! 
Lisa R.
on 1/18/12 6:02 am - CA
 Wow, 2 days! 

Well I feel much better now.  I know it was not something that was stuck.  I had not introduced any new food but maybe the grapes were too much.  I did "eat" a bit for lunch even thought they said only liquid.  I was not prepared for a liquid diet and I am at work and as a teacher I can't go with out some fuel!  I have a protein bar for snack and I hope it goes down as well as the egg white veggie thing I had for lunch.  I don't know why this happened but the pain was horrible and I don't think I could have lasted 2 more days.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
(deactivated member)
on 1/18/12 6:07 am
I'm glad you're better, having to be in charge of a bunch of wild kiddos and not feeling well has got to be trying! 

When I ate the offending meals, it was dinner time. I was bothered that whole night and then the next day.  By the second morning, the pain was gone as mysteriously as it had appeared.

Do you have your gallbladder? I had stones for YEARS before I finally said out with the stupid thing and sometimes even a healthy meal could set off those gallbladder pains. Just something to keep in mind if the pain comes back, especially after eating.

M.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 515 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 361 views