AM I DONE????

Pam211
on 1/20/12 1:33 am - Lexington-Fayette, KY
I am 21 months post op and am still about 33 lbs from what my personal weight goal is, and 23 lbs from my doctor's weight goal.  I am wondering if anyone knows the statistics and if I should just accept this as my "body's" goal, or if it's still possible that I could lose those extra pounds.  If I end up being done, I am still very happy with my results and would not change anything!

Keeves
on 1/20/12 1:47 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Your doctor is the best one to answer this. Either way, you've accomplished a lot, and I'm very happy for you.

redenallen
on 1/20/12 3:07 am
You're only done when you want to be.  I am just shy of the two year mark as well and never made my goal either, but decided to take control and not settle for my body's "happy" weight. 
Hitting the gym hard, eliminating all carbs (at least for now), and watching my portions has produced a 10 pound loss in the past two weeks! 
I had truly given up and thought I would just always be 215.... but there is no way I am stopping now...by the 2 year mark I plan to be in onderland!
Analyze what you're doing now and see if there is any room for change.  The weight is not going to magically disappear at this point, it's going to take work, but reaching your goal is possible.  Don't give up and never settle!!!!

Laura in Texas
on 1/20/12 3:26 am
You may be done, but are you tracking every bite that goes in your mouth? Are you watching your protein and carb intake? Are you exercising? Only you know if you are being honest with yourself about all of this. You can always go get one of those breathing tests that measures your RMR if you are unsure about how many calories your body needs.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Kim S.
on 1/20/12 4:09 am, edited 1/20/12 4:10 am - Helena, AL
Maybe, maybe not.

Are you close to the normal BMI?  Not that this is a fool proof goal.  Are you still "trying" to lose weight?  Meaning you are closely watching what you eat vs what you burn and still staying the same?  if the answer is yes, then you are likely done.

Several people will tell you "you're not done until you are ready to be done" and "don't give up your dream" of a certain size or weight.  But that "dream" can quickly become a nightmare if your entire day is consumed with dieting and stress about every thing you do.  THAT is where we were before surgery. 

Even if you lose another 20 or 30 lbs, are you willing to live a very restricted life to stay that weight?  If the answer is yes then you should be able to diet yourself to any weight you choose.

I believe each body has a "happy" weight that it will reach and can easily stay there with normal diet and exercise.  Sure we can get lower than that, but if you have to think about what you eat and how much you exercise every waking moment to stay there, is it worth it?

#1 question should be are you healthy?  If you are, then you are golden.

Laura in Texas
on 1/20/12 7:26 am
Well said, Kim!! I sometimes think about trying to lose another 10 pounds, but I can pretty much maintain where I am with little effort, so I think I'm good. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Pam211
on 1/20/12 11:38 am - Lexington-Fayette, KY
Thanks for the advice....before the holidays I was averaging about 13-1400 calories per day, and backslid quite a bit through the holidays.  Since then I have struggled to get back on track, but am slowly but surely getting there.  My ultimate goal is 1200 calories a day to lose, and about 1600 to maintain.  In reflection per everyone's advice, I realize I have been "grazing"....which I'm sure is most of my problem.  My BMI is still at 30, which is obese, however everyone tells me I look really good and I personally don't feel look I look or feel obese.  

At my last visit with my primary care doctor I told him I still had about 40 more lbs. (at that time) to lose and he told me that it was okay if I do that, but for me to keep in mind that I had already reached my ultimate goal of gaining my health back.  I am off all of my asthma medications (I was on 3 and barely maintaining my asthma), blood pressure medication and acid reflux medication.  So, Kim I think you are right....while I would like to lose enough to be below that BMI of 30, you're right and I am satisfied that right now I could maintain where I am long term without being miserable.  

melissa_whitener
on 1/20/12 10:24 pm - PA
RNY on 12/31/13
 it is very likely that you are much more muscular than you were pre op and that affects your bmi as well.  If you are more muscled than the average girl of your height it makes your bmi look high.  you can get a body fat test, to see how much actual fat you are carrying, but it might be expensive!  I'd say if you feel great and look great don't obsess about the weight so much.

so great you are off all those meds, gives me hope!!
 Melissa

Don't trade what you want the most for what you want right now.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 287 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics