Can this happen post op?

Lisa R.
on 1/20/12 11:59 am - CA
 Can your stomach (the old one) growl?  You know, like pre op when you were really hungry and your tummy would growl, can that still happen if you get really hungry because I swear it was happening to me today.  No one heard but me and I felt it.....

Is this possible?  I have never felt it before today and I am almost 9 months out

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
poet_kelly
on 1/20/12 12:28 pm - OH
How can you tell it's your old stomach and not your pouch?  Mine growls, but I kinda assumed it was my pouch.  Although honestly, I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/12 1:01 pm
Well, your old stomach and pouch are in two very different places after RNY. The pouch is up much higher.   I felt a lot during the first 2 weeks of surgery but after that, I never felt a thing with my old stomach. 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/20/12 2:18 pm - OH
During the several weeks that I had the G-tube post-op (and was using it for protein shakes), I would periodically drink part of the shake (thus sending it into my pouch) and then would put the rest of it into the remnant stomach through the tube... so I could feel both of them at he same time.  It was actually a pretty surreal feeling, but the stomach was significantly lower than the pouch (I remember being surprised at how high the pouch felt).  Because of that, I would think that if it was your old stomach, it would be pretty clear that it WAS coming from down so far... and it would surprise me if a stomach that has not been used for almost 9 months would still be active... and our entire intestinal tract is capable of generating all sorts of grumbling and gurgling nosies, but I certainly wouldn't say that it is impossible.

Perrsonally, I have not felt mine in more than 4 years (since a few days after the G-tube came out), even when I had pancreatitis and was not allowed anything to eat or drink for 6 days.... and it's tough to get more hungry than that!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lisa R.
on 1/20/12 10:32 pm - CA
 I can't imagine how you did that!  Nothing for 6 days!  I had to go almost 18 hours before my knee surgery and I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack.  When you drink pretty much all day and you eat every 2/3 hours it becomes so much of a habit that's hard to break.

So does the pouch growl then? or do you think it is just intestinal?  It really felt like that super hungry feeling I used to have before surgery.  Maybe it was in my head because I am right before TOM and I get like crazy hungry....I hate it!  But as soon as I start I feel normal again.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/21/12 12:02 am - OH
 The six days without food was made bearable by good pain meds around the clock,  because pancreatitis hurts like hell!

I have been told that the pouch does NOT growl because it is so small (little muscle surface area) and does not contain the same fluids that the remnant stomach does.  Your intestines, however, can make a LOT of noise post-op because, with the bypass, the unbypassed portion is getting food that it EXPECTS to already be proceesed (but is, obviously, not).  I have no medical citation for that... just what I was told by two bariatric surgeons from 2 different practices.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

nfarris79
on 1/21/12 5:54 am - Germantown, MD
 Nik posted this a few days ago - I don't think my pouch makes noises but the loud noises coming from SOMEWHERE says, yes, this is normal!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4492518/The-Blessing-i n-My-Curse/#communityupdates:0

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Laura in Texas
on 1/21/12 6:21 am
My stomach growls all the time. Not sure which part is doing the growling. My kids get so embarrassed by it because it is LOUD! They'll tell me, "Mommy, go eat something!!" lol My students hear it, too, and also worry that I'm starving (I'm really not- I eat every 3 hours)

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Keeves
on 1/21/12 9:23 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Ditto Lora. I really can't see how the pouch can make much noise at all. Whatever seems to be the stomach is probably the intestines.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 368 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 79 views
Recent Topics