??? DO YOU EVER???

Kitsy W.
on 1/25/12 8:47 pm
I am almost 41/2 years out of Gastric Bypass....when do you ever feel like you look good enough.  I went to a new PCP yesterday and of course they weigh you....well the scale said 141 she asked me what I thought about the weight that I saw, I told her that I didn't like it at all.  She stated that my BMI is 21 and that I didn't need to be any smaller.  I told her right then that when I saw the 141 that I would be at least 5-6 pounds lighter when I come back to see her in 7-8 weeks.  She then stated that she wouldn't mind seeing me at 160 pounds.  I told her absolutely NOT. 

When do we know that we are at a good place?  I still see myself large in the mirror.  Will this ever go away???   UGH!!!!

Starting weight:  292  Goal weight:  145 Current weight:  136

Keeves
on 1/25/12 9:33 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
The mirror is a very tricky thing.

Ever since I was a child, I knew I was overweight. But obese? Not me. I know a lardass when I see one, and I never saw one in the mirror.

Then, one day, I realized that when an anorexic looks in the mirror, they never see the bag o' bones that others see. And that's why they keep losing weight. The mirror is honest, but our brains do not allow us to see the objective reality.

That was a big turning point in my decision to have WLS. I had to admit to myself that I really was a morbidly obese lardass, whether I saw it in the mirror or not, because that's how my doctors and friends and relatives saw me, whether they used such language or not.

Kitsy, I'm NOT suggesting that you simply accept your PCP's advice. But DO discuss it with her. Ask WHY she thinks 160 would be a good idea. Maybe she has a good reason, and maybe not. Maybe there's a range that she's accept, which might overlap with a range that you can tolerate.

I will say this as gently as I can, and I hope you'll forgive me if I come off as too strong: I'm not any sort of medically-trained person, but I can't help wondering if you might be inclining toward some sort of something that you might deal with *now* before you lose too much weight. It seems from your post that you might even see it yourself already, and were it not for that, I wouldn't have brought it up at all.

One last idea: I see from your signature line that you are already BELOW your goal weight. Even before you talk to your PCP, maybe you should ask YOURSELF how you came up with that goal weight, and why you're not satisfied with it any more.

Good luck!

Monica M.
on 1/25/12 9:33 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
You need to get your head around your weight. How tall are you? a BMI of 21 is right smack dab in the middle of normal.

Stop looking in the mirror, if you don't like what you see. Listen to your doctor. You may NEVER be happy with your weight, and if you're not, then that can be dangerous for you.

If i were you, i'd get some counselling around body image. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, if you can find a practitioner in your area.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics