Those who do b12 shots

AddisynsMommy
on 1/28/12 4:47 am - FL
 where do you give yourself the shot at? My pharmacist said I could not do it in my leg? anyone else hear this or been told this? I usually get it in my arm but my dad hasn't been home and i can feel how drained I am was wondering if I did it in my leg would it be ok and where abouts in the leg? haha this could be bad I suppose but im scared to try and do it myself in the arm? any thoughts? or suggestions?

Ladytazz
on 1/28/12 4:49 am
I never heard that about the leg.  I give it in my upper thigh.  I'm going to have to ask my doctor if that is right.  When I get it at the doctor's office they do it in my butt but I don't think I am enough of a contortionist to do that myself.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

AddisynsMommy
on 1/28/12 4:53 am - FL
 my dad does his in the upper thigh too and said it was weird the pharmacist would say that. =/ i dont know I so know i can tell when im late gettin my shot I feel all blah. My fiance said he would do it but Im scared of that! haha
poet_kelly
on 1/28/12 4:57 am - OH
Why did he say not to do it in your leg?  Your thigh is fine.

Do you do them IM or sub-cutaneously?  If you do them sub-q, you can also do it in your belly.  That's where I do mine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladytazz
on 1/28/12 6:11 am
Is there any difference in the way the are utilized if they are done sub q or IM?  If not I may try the stomach.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 1/28/12 7:12 am - OH
Some people think they are absorbed better IM.  Others think sub-q is just as good.  I've researched and find equally reputable sources saying IM only and others saying sub-q is fine.  There doesn't really seem to be conclusive research either way.  My PCP prescribes mine and says she always prescribes them su-q, so that's what I do.  And my B12 level was around 1200 last time I had labs done.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 1/28/12 4:42 pm - Suffern, NY
I have been doing it in my stomach for about 15 years now and have always had great levels.  I asked 4 different hematologist over the years and they all say it doesn't matter - the bottle even says for IM or SC use-.  Just get yourself some insulin needles and inject in your stomach - painless.

curiouscat7
on 1/28/12 5:06 am
 In the butt.... and hubby does it for me once a month... he hates it but deals with it
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
AddisynsMommy
on 1/28/12 5:07 am - FL
 the pharmacist said we dont absorb it well there. and Its sub they said to do mine. 1ml. I dont know if i could stick my belly the leg yes but belly i duno.. im just not sure where on the leg since i was showed the arm which I keep imagining how i would do that.. and seems hard ha ha I just tired of waiting since my dads been out of town,,
rbb825
on 1/28/12 4:46 pm - Suffern, NY
I have been doing in my belly with insulin needles for over 25 years and my levels are great.  It says on the bottle for SC or IM use.  I asked numerous hematologist who speciaize in B12 deficiency and they all said it doesn't matter,  Why use a huge needle in the arm that is painful. 

You can also use the insulin needles on your thigh but you need to do it in a flabby area - not muscle.  I found that since my thigh is pretty muscular, I was bruising pretty bad and switched to my stomach adn it works great.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 414 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 106 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?