Home made yogurt

lilbear412
on 1/31/12 12:27 pm - MN
 So recently i made some homemade yogurt.  Its really good and really easy to make.  But, my electric heating pad has a automatic shut off after 2 hours of which i didn't know about. Despite that my yogurt tasted really good, i know what i am getting when i eat it and know what i am mixing into it.  to make greek yogurt you just strain the yogurt all day long or all night and you get greek yogurt. So i ordered a yogurt "maker".  Its not really a yogurt maker but its the warmer.  I can't wait to get it so i can really make yogurt.  

Also, does anyone make their own bread?  If so i would love recipes of a light wheat bread or a light whole grain bread.  Love nutty bread.  thanks..

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

poet_kelly
on 1/31/12 1:34 pm - OH
I just made a batch of yogurt tonight!  I put a few inches of water in my crock pot and then stood the jars of yogurt in the crock pot, with the crock pot turned on low.  I checked the temp periodically with a candy thermometer and it stayed right about 110 degrees.  I'll see how it turns out in the morning but it should be good.  I am going to strain it so I won't actually be enjoying it until tomorrow evening.

I want to start making all my own yogurt, as well as my own butter and a few other things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilbear412
on 1/31/12 1:52 pm - MN
 Jeez Kelly i never thought to use my crock pot..does your yogurt turn out pretty thick or is it quite runny?  It tastes pretty good with some splenda in it.  Can't wait to hear how your butter making goes.  I know once when my oldest daughter was in grade school they did a frontier days at school and they made butter in a jar...you shake it and shake it and shake it.  lol that was so many years ago..ha!!

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

poet_kelly
on 2/1/12 12:15 am - OH
It's not runny but I'm gonna strain it because I'm used to eating Greek yogurt so I want it thicker.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Blondie76
on 1/31/12 9:10 pm - AL
I usually make 1-2 gallons worth of yogurt a week. We love it. I've been making soaked granola to put on top with a few blueberries.

I do make my own bread, but don't have any light recipes. Usually make French if we're having company or sourdough for everyday. There are a lot of health benefits to sourdough vs regular wheat bread.
Monica M.
on 2/1/12 12:27 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
lots of recipes online. I bet too, if you google protein bread, there's lots of options. If a bread recipe calls for  milk, try substituting some or all of the milk with greek yogurt... i wonder what that would taste like?

laurawilson25
on 2/1/12 10:16 am - Groves, TX
I make this all the time in the crock pot. I usually strain it to make it Greek yogurt. I eat it with cereal, with sf syrup, with sf pudding/jello mix, add it to recipes, etc. One quart of whole milk makes enough for me for about 2 weeks, just taking it in my lunch.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

Amelia born full term May 15, 2012. 7 lbs, 2 oz. 11 lbs left to lose to make pre-baby weight.

And what does the LORD require of you?; To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. 
Micah 6:8  
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 390 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 27 views