Can someone please give me a swift kick?

virvin
on 2/1/12 1:22 pm - CO

Hey, everyone.  To start with, I want to thank everyone for helping me on this journey towards a healthier and happier me.  This site has been an answer to my prayers.

I am 7 months post-op now.  4 weeks ago I had knee surgery.  I tore the meniscus so they went in to clean that up, plus take care of some arthritis and bone spurs in the knee.  The surgeon said it could take 6-8 weeks to be at a normal activity level with minimal pain.  Apparently, I'm not patient enough.

I haven't lost any weight since my knee surgery and my menstrual cycle is way off (I'm 3 weeks overdue...and no, no chance of pregnancy).  I am still getting in all my protein and fluids and vitamins.  However, this inactivity is killing me.  Now my logical side says, "Well, you just had knee surgery and it's going to take time to heal".  My emotional side is terrified that I am going to put back on all the weight I've lost and it screams at me. 

I had a friend call me last night as he was thinking about me and he made me listen to him.  He said I need to be patient with myself and rest my knee as it is still swollen and sore.  He is a good friend and I know he means well.  Taking care of myself is not an easy thing.  I am very stubborn and hard headed.  (That's the Taurus in me).  I'm starting my pilates workout at home in the morning but I really want to get back to my Zumba classes (ok, never thought in a million years I'd WANT to go workout).  I don't want to gain all that weight back. 

Just need a swift kick to my emotional side to behave and give me a break.  I hope that doesn't sound dumb.  Sigh.

So, drop me a line if you the urge for some butt-kicking.  I could use it right about now.

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

poet_kelly
on 2/1/12 1:29 pm - OH
I'm really not into butt kicking - plus it sounds like you've kicked yourself enough already.

Did the surgeon tell you what might happen if you don't give your knee time to heal?  If not, maybe it would help to give him a call and ask.

Do you know that stalls ar common around six or seven months out, even if people haven't had knee surgery?  I did not lose anything my whole sixth month out.  Then I went on to lose a whole lot more.

You had surgery to take care of yourself, right?  So don't quit now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

virvin
on 2/1/12 1:34 pm - CO
Thank you, Kelly.  You are most definitely correct.  I am my own worst enemy.  I would never talk to my friends like I talk to myself.  It is something I am definitely working on.

I know knee replacement is in my future.  Doing this surgery for my knee just bought me some time.  If I don't take care of it, it will just speed up the agenda for the surgery and my surgeon doesn't want to do it for another 5 years.  I do NOT want to end up in a wheelchair.

Sigh.

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

LJ1972
on 2/1/12 1:32 pm - FL
well... look at it this way, you can wait another 2-4 weeks to get back to regular activity, or you can risk damaging your knee permanently and never be able to participate in those things without pain.
Personally, I would do some upper body stuff and let the knee heal.
Jenspunky
on 2/1/12 1:46 pm
RNY on 01/16/12

What about upper body stuff?  

Are you allowed to swim?  You could always swim but not kick your legs in the water (use a buoy), if you're allowed.

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

kidnamedtoad
on 2/1/12 2:31 pm
I was going to recommend swimming but Jenn beat me to it.  At my gym there's a cycle where you sit upright and pedal with your arms. My mom has bad knees and used to use that and could get in some activity.  Hang in there!  You can't help that your knee is hurt.
Toad         Starting weight: 249 Day of surgery wt: 217  GW: 109 CW 149                                                                    
Kathleen W.
on 2/1/12 3:16 pm - Lancaster, PA
You don't need a butt kicking.  You need to relax, let your body keep on mending from BOTH surgeries, and keep following the guidelines  for your wls.  Also,  what kind of physical therapy are you doing for the knee.  As others have mentioned,  water therapy is probably one of the best things that you can do.  I hope you're running soon.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

wvugal89
on 2/1/12 5:35 pm - MD
 As someone who had knee surgery on both knees I say listen to your surgeon. I am sure you will be in physical therapy soon enough. Don't pu**** because if you overdo it you can make it worse. It will all work out in the end!

Teri-Lynn
POI

dasie
on 2/1/12 7:49 pm
I don't know if Deedles is on much anymore....you can go to her profile.  She had both knees replaced, I believe it was both, and during the process dropped quite a few pounds getting her to her goal weight or close to it.  I can't remember what her physical therepy was, etc., but you can read her blog...maybe send her a message.  I miss seeing her on the boards.  I remember she was really concerned, however the surgeries proved just the opposite for her in her WLS journey.  I hope you can contact her.

Heidi T.
on 2/1/12 9:44 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
 I have had knee surgery twice, and trust me dont mess with the dr's there are reasons why they give you restriction.  However, instead of thinking what you can no do, I suggest looking at what you can accomplish.  You could work on your arms, do sittups heck dance from the waste up, every movement counts, as well as every bead of sweat.  Dont give up simply addapt to your new challenges, and take them on as that.  Things will get better and you are doing great.

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 440 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 382 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 105 views
Forum Search Error & 404