How can I get rid of this pain

richard74
on 2/4/12 1:37 am - TX
 I posted a while back about this stomach paints didn't know what had caused it. Well we tracked it back and dr told me it was too much sugar in the oranges. Well this morning I ran a 5k and had an orange but I just sucked the juice and didn't actually eat it, but unfortunately that was enough to cause damage to cause this pain again to my stomach. My question is what can I do to make it better to where at least I'm not just lying in bed cause that's how much it actually hurts. Thank you all. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/12 1:50 am
When I"ve had that bad a pain from something I've eaten, it's usually due to pressure from gas (even though it doesn't FEEL like gas as you'd expect... it's just excrutiating pain which makes you feel like your stomach and lower innards are burning and on fire!) or acid issues.  I always try taking some Gas-X (generic form, simethicone) and also something soothing like Maalox or Mylanta, something to counteract the acid.

It usually takes a good hour or two, but that'll usually relieve it slowly.  It's a miserable feeling... since now you've had this multiple times with oranges, sadly you might want to limit them in your diet.  Doesn't sound like it's worth it when you get episodes like this.

Feel better soon!

tori
swannys22
on 2/4/12 2:34 am - MI
Sad to say as I am pretty new and have not had surgery yet, but it sounds like you need to give the oranges up. There is orange juice called troop 50 which has 50 cal. per serving that might work. Sorry, it must be hard to give good things up but I believe with this surgery it happens.
Marie M.
on 2/4/12 2:45 am - MT
Hi Richard,  

Sometimes it can help to have a 1/2 teaspoon of Adolph's Tenderizer (unseasoned) and sips of water. What that does is break down what you have in your stomach. If you have trapped air or too much food or hard to digest food it helps.

Some people have luck with other things but this is what I have the most luck with for stomach pain. Sometimes I've had to have another 1/2 teaspoon if the first one didn't help. I try to always keep it on hand.

If it's the acid then peptobismo or malox, etc, can help.

I hope that you feel better soon. marie

Chilipepper
on 2/4/12 3:20 am
OMG.....DON'T TELL HIM TO TAKE MEAT TENDERIZER BECAUSE HE IS MOST LIKELY DUMPING FROM THE SUGARS IN THE ORANGE. 

MEAT TENDERIZER....PAPAYA ENZYME IS USED TO BREAK DOWN MEAT/PROTEINS...NOT ORANGES.  YOU SHOULD NEVER GET IN THE HABIT OF USING THAT OR TELLING ANYONE TO USE IT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT ITS USE IS FOR.
DO YOU  KNOW WHAT CONTINUAL USE OF MEAT TENDERIZER WILL DO TO YOUR POUCH. 

Richard, unfortunatly there are some post op who cant tolerate oranges...maybe later give them another chance....but with this surgery, it is trail and error....

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

richard74
on 2/4/12 3:28 am - TX
 Thank you and I agree I'm going to stay away from oranges, but after a 5k run I needed something to quench my throat and they were offering cut up oranges so I drank the juice and now in pain. 

Chilipepper
on 2/4/12 3:41 am
G2 is a great replacement for the fluids and it will quench the thirst...you have to remember that it is extremely easy for us to dehydrate now.  Make sure you replace the water your are sweating in addition to what your requirements are for the day...

Just because you cant do oranges now doesn't mean you won't be able to later...I have my Mimosa's on Sunday morning and OJ is a requirement...lol    If you are craving some fruit...I always got the fruit cups in water...I love little Mandarin orange slices....when its in water...some of the sugars have been diluted...

PS  congrats on the 5K ..!! 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Barb H.
on 2/4/12 4:03 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
I'm wondering if you have an ulcer. Oranges are so acidic that your reaction may not be from the sugar but the acid. Regardless, it sounds like they are now on your "do not eat" list,

By the way, congrats on the 5k!! Way to go!
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 376 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 467 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 381 views
Recent Topics